256 Hawkeye Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I've always wondered why the Hawkeye hammer and 'Y' shaped spring strut junction is different. Never came across the answer. But I just put a New Model Ruger Hunter grip frame on my Hawkeye. I had to modify my homemade trigger spring adapter to clear the bottom of the Y strut.

So this time I'm asking if anyone knows the reason for the different design?

1706575980304.jpeg

Well I figured it out: The bottom part of the 'Y' is a hammer travel stop. Since there's no cylinder and cyl stop to limit the hammer cocking travel, the flat spot on the bottom lobe contacts the top of the trigger guard strap to limit hammer travel beyond the trigger sear locking into the cocking notch on the hammer.

G2

Hunter
The 256 Hawkeye Pistol sure is an interesting creature.

I have always been intrigued with them, handled them, shot one once, but with the collectibility & prices they command never have felt the burn to acquire one.

Hondo; Thanks for sharing your solved observation, and didn't you say you were fitting up a different Grip Frame???
Would sure like to see a few pictures of it when done.

flyingtiger

Single-Sixer
It is for the rebounding hammer, after firing, the hammer rebounds. Put a strut from a super blackhawk, it does not

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My Hawkeye with original alloy grip frame:
1706829552387.png

With NM XR3-RED sreel grip frame:
1706832332363.jpeg

I'm going to try a Hunter rd guard SBH grip frame next.
——————

"It [the Y spring/strut] is for the rebounding hammer, after firing, the hammer rebounds. Put a strut from a super blackhawk, it does not." Flying Tiger

The 'Y' spring strut does not actuate the hammer rebound; it's the firing pin spring tension that causes the hammer to rebound (and the large notch in the hammer and special trigger sear that locks the hammer back shown below). It's the lack of those parts and the flat striker on the face of the super blackhawk hammer that would negate the hammer rebound and hammer blocking from working. Also the SBH spring on its strut has less tension than the Hawkeye mainspring although the Hawkeye hammer and trigger did rebound for me when I just swapped to the SBH spring/strut when I tested it.

Hawkeye hammer and trigger:
1706832800023.jpeg

Last edited: