22 caliber "kitguns"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

@DerekR -

This stainless Bearcat w/elk stags on Sack Peterson's page is my all-time favorite! ⬇️

(I chose to post a link, vs. "stealing" his photo.)

I think the smoothed (then fluted and chamfered) cylinder is what really sets it off!

Well… that, and the flawless elk stags! 😍

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I've never really had a "kit gun" though I have a Uberti Stallion that would come close.

I have a Bearcat, but not sure I would want to depend on it for "kit gun" use.

Bob Wright

Pardon my ignorance, but
What is the definition of a "kit gun"???

Thanks,
JaydaWg
Small handgun that is easily carried in your kit bag or pocket or a holster. Usually .22 caliber with a 4 inch or shorter barrel. The term was used by Smith and Wesson to sell their small frame .22 revolver to people like trappers and farmers and other outdoorsmen who have need of such a piece. Something that is used to shoot trapped or injured animals and anything else that a small handgun could be used for.

317-3 Smith and Wesson Kit Gun with an ESEE CR 2.5 knife and a pocket holster. The holster is marked for a .32 Hand Ejector with a 3.25 inch barrel and fits this one perfectly.
0210200116.jpg

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
wiki has a good description of a 'Kit Gun'

the kit title is misleading, they are fully factory assembled :D

Small handgun that is easily carried in your kit bag or pocket or a holster. Usually .22 caliber with a 4 inch or shorter barrel. The term was used by Smith and Wesson to sell their small frame .22 revolver to people like trappers and farmers and other outdoorsmen who have need of such a piece. Something that is used to shoot trapped or injured animals and anything else that a small handgun could be used for.

Thanks guys, for the education.
We have never carried handguns when we are hunting, just our rifles.
Except my grandpa carried a 30 cal Luger on his hip when hunting cats.
He had to use it a few times when he would shoot the cat out of a tree
and was still alive going after his hounds.

Cheers,
JaydaWg

Killer Bee

Bearcat
^ wow, I almost forgot about this fun little plinker until I saw the Sentinel above, thank you for posting!

J.C. Higgins Model 88 is an alloy frame 9 shot double action Sentinel made by High Standard in the 50's - early 60's. This well preserved and lightly used 2" revolver does not have the ejector star return spring as indicated by the witness marks on the aluminum frame. My son and I have shot this one a few times and it functions well with surprising accuracy for a short barrel rimfire revolver.

John Higgins was born in Ireland and started working for Sears, Roebuck and Co. in the late 1800's eventually working his way up to Vice President of the company. His first name was abbreviated and middle initial added, although he did not have one, to create the sporting goods line brand name J.C. Higgins that Sears used into the early 60's.

Although they typically have lower market value than their actual manufacturer name branded equivalents, department store and hardware store guns interest me as integral parts of Americana. Those were common places we bought guns and ammunition and shooting this little piece of history brings back fond memories of the good 'ol days. 🇺🇸

J.C.-Higgins-model-88.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The S&W Kit Gun was the model name for their small 'I' size frame 4" .22 with adjustable sights introduced 1935. In those days a bag of belongings was referred to as one's Kit bag, hunting kit, fishing kit, etc.

Today it would be called a camp gun, not necessarily to be carried while hunting but for camp meat, camp pests, plinking, etc. The name became generic to other small guns used for the same purposes.

It became the Model 34 in 1957 with light alloy versions, 2" and .22 mag models, and stainless versions becoming available.

Thanks guys, for the education.
We have never carried handguns when we are hunting, just our rifles.
Except my grandpa carried a 30 cal Luger on his hip when hunting cats.
He had to use it a few times when he would shoot the cat out of a tree
and was still alive going after his hounds.

Cheers,
JaydaWg
JAYDAWG this reminds me of the Jerry Clower story about "Coon Hunting" where John Eubanks climbed the tree to knock the coon to the ground and found out that it was a bobcat.

"Knock him out John"!!!! I still laugh when I listen to that story!!!

mirglip

Single-Sixer
Years ago a friend told me he was fly fishing a high mountain lake and as he reeled in a fighting Rainbow Trout, a Wolverine which had snuck up behind him growled at him. He shot it once with a .22 handgun and that ended the confrontation. A mountain man who had lived in the Montana backcountry all his life and killed dozens of bears, it was the only Wolverine he had ever seen. Next time I see him I'll ask him to tell the story again as I have forgotten most of the details.
In my neck of the woods, a .22 handgun is not likely to be holstered because a .44 magnum is simply more appropriate. The .22 would more likely be bouncing around in an ATV box or tackle box.
I have a nice old S&W model 63-3 but it's too pretty and expensive for such duty. I'm selling it and looking for a beat up cheap one instead. It seems 22 kit guns are expensive.
S6 & 63 001.JPG

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
The S&W Kit Gun was the model name for their small 'I' size frame 4" .22 with adjustable sights introduced 1935. In those days a bag of belongings was referred to as one's Kit bag, hunting kit, fishing kit, etc.

Today it would be called a camp gun, not necessarily to be carried while hunting but for camp meat, camp pests, plinking, etc. The name became generic to other small guns used for the same purposes.

It became the Model 34 in 1957 with light alloy versions, 2" and .22 mag models, and stainless versions becoming available.

The origin of the term "kit gun"!
Thank you Hondo44.
Kinda like Kleenex, it was the original, and every tissue since is a Kleenex!!

Cheers,
JAYDAWG

Latest posts