22/45 lever stuck

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Raincote

Bearcat
Yesterday I field stripped my 22/45 lite for the first time and I made a mistake when reassembling. I accidentally put the pin on the lever into the cavity in front of the hole it's supposed to go in and it got stuck there. I can't seem to find a way to break it free. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and had any tips on how to get it 'unstuck'.
Thanks.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
What has happened is your bolt stop pin is caught on the back side edge of the cocked hammer. There is a slight scallop cut on the front side of the bolt stop pin and the top of the hammer can catch into it if the hammer is moved rearward, pulling on the mainspring housing just causes the hammer to bind on the pin even more. Try inserting an empty magazine into your frame, and then squeeze the trigger, that should allow the hammer to release off of the sear and move forward to release the misplaced bolt stop pin from its stuck position.

Hope this helps,

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
I want to add that if your hammer does not release, you may have to tilt the pistol with the muzzle facing down towards the floor, or possibly even hold the trigger rearward and strike the muzzle down onto a block of wood, or some other well padded surface, to force the hammer forward and release the bolt stop.

R,
Bullseye

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Bullseye57 said:
I want to add that if your hammer does not release, you may have to tilt the pistol with the muzzle facing down towards the floor, or possibly even hold the trigger rearward and strike the muzzle down onto a block of wood, or some other well padded surface, to force the hammer forward and release the bolt stop.

R,
Bullseye
If it's a Mk III you will need to have an empty (emphasis on empty) magazine installed to bypass the magazine disconnect and allow the trigger to be pulled and the hammer to go forward. Bullseye57 mentioned this above but it's critical to reassembling the Mk III pistols.

Latest posts