21 Firearms Essential For Home Defense In 2024

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A long time ago I took classes on marketing and even attended seminars by people who seemed to be pretty smart.
I will never understand the idea that this is all about throwing as much advertising s#!T at you as can be put on the monitor let alone sending out several emails a day.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
A long time ago I took classes on marketing and even attended seminars by people who seemed to be pretty smart.
I will never understand the idea that this is all about throwing as much advertising s#!T at you as can be put on the monitor let alone sending out several emails a day

Used to be billboards and junk snail mail, and only reached a small percentage of the population, which was easy to ignore. Now your smart phone, and every other form of electronic communication is a delivery system, so it reaches literally nearly every person on the planet 24/7, and makes it easy to buy whatever they're selling with a couple mouse clicks and a credit card or other system of payment (eg. PayPal). You can order up a hooker or a pizza (or both at the same time) from the comfort of your home and have it delivered in minutes. What a wonderful world. ;) :unsure:

Last edited:
I guess some folks on both sides of the fence would ask the same question, Who needs 21 guns to protect their home?....

I guess the Branch Davidians did, but that did not work out too well.

Sorry, that might have been in poor taste... it's early....

Location and personal definition of 'home defense' are the key words.
Located in an urban (possibly gang territory) area where there's a high risk of a multiple entry of armed thugs scenario is far different than a rural setting where a roaming thief or two might decide to make a sneak and grab entry. Urban SD must (or should) include consideration of where missent bullets will strike. Rural areas not so much.
In my situation, I only have about 3-5 degrees of the 360 degree pie to be careful of if shooting is required-even with a centerfire rifle. Therefore, my choices of home defense are far different (and probably more powerful) than someone with occupied buildings only feet away. Also, homeowners in rural or less densely populated areas are often outside more than city folks and there may be need to address problems at longer range than a small handgun or buckshot is suitable for.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Location and personal definition of 'home defense' are the key words.
Located in an urban (possibly gang territory) area where there's a high risk of a multiple entry of armed thugs scenario is far different than a rural setting where a roaming thief or two might decide to make a sneak and grab entry. Urban SD must (or should) include consideration of where missent bullets will strike. Rural areas not so much.
In my situation, I only have about 3-5 degrees of the 360 degree pie to be careful of if shooting is required-even with a centerfire rifle. Therefore, my choices of home defense are far different (and probably more powerful) than someone with occupied buildings only feet away. Also, homeowners in rural or less densely populated areas are often outside more than city folks and there may be need to address problems at longer range than a small handgun or buckshot is suitable for.

Exactly. I'm out in the woods far enough I could use an RPG and not worry about collateral damage. :)