200gr XTP in 44 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Found a box of these in my cabinet and would like to shoot them up in my Lipseys Bisley Flattop. Never been any jacketed bullets down the pipe on this one and never shot anything less than 240-250gr bullets.

What's a good use for 200gr XTPs and what velocity should they be run to get any expansion?

Powder suggestions?

Nowata

Single-Sixer
The hornady XTP 200gr. in .44 is designed for an impact velocity of 900-1100fps, so plan MV accordingly. 2400, Unique, Blue Dot are all good choices. Impact velocities greater than 1100fps could lead to premature expansion, and lessen penetration.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I've found a complete lack of data on the 180 to 200 grain XTP bullets for 44 special. I don't know why Hornady isn't putting out some good data for them to help them sell, but they aren't.

Rainman

Blackhawk
kelbro:
Don't forget Universal (Clays). It is similiar to Unique, burns a lot cleaner and right next to each other on the burn rate chart. I have gone to it almost exclusively for my mid range loads.

Brian Pearce did an excellent article in Handloader on the 44 SPL in June 2009 (#260) where he loaded some 200gr Speer Gold Dots with 22.0 gr of H-110 for a velocity if 1,301fps. (Starline cases and Fed 155 primer). This is probably more velocity than you were wanting but it's the only jacketed 200gr load he listed.

Dan

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I have a good stock of suitable powders, just haven't found much published data for that bullet. I thought that I had read that 900-1100fps recommendation somewhere before but was unable to locate it. That should be a pleasant load to shoot too.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
The one thing I've read about the XTP is because of the hollow point, they seat deeper for their weight grain than the same grain bullet of another type (like solid lead) - if that makes sense. So just because one powder charge is good for a 200 grain bullet of another type, it doesn't make it good (or even safe) for an XTP.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Because the 44 special is a low pressure round you can use any 200gr jacketed bullet data (Hodgdon for instance) and if you want increase the charge by about 10%, working up of course.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp 8) 8)

Nowata

Single-Sixer
If this bullet is to used on deer, I would hesitate on a shoulder shot. However, a double-lung shot would be perfect.

Rainman

Blackhawk
kelbro:
You might be able to handle more velocity with that bullet than what you think. Here's a direct quote from hornady.com concerning the 200gr XTP 44 cal bullet:

"Controlled expansion to 1.5x its original diameter over a wide range of velocities.
Heavier jacket stands up to the high pressures and velocities of the highest performance handgun cartridges. "

Dan

steve b

Single-Sixer
Plenty of data in Hornady 4th Edit. handbook. I've shot them thru the Bulldog and SBH for yrs.. Kelbro ? What powder ya wanna try ? I'll post data here. Lets see, they stuck to 15,500 PSI, and WLP primers. Unique starts at 6.1gr and goes to 6.6gr. On 2400...they go 11.2 to 11.8gr.. Yeah, rather tame stuff. Pull them Brian Pearce articles out ! I'll take another run downstairs and see what I got written down in a minute. See Brian P., went to 9.0 grs of Unique and got 1,072fps, in what he calls his "level two" loads, to 22,000psi.. In his "level 3" loads, he switches to 2400 powder, goes to 19 grs and gets 1250-1260fps ! These he has at 25,000 psi or less. Someone mentioed the XTP's greater bore bearing surface, I'll mention that they are .430, where many other jacketed are .429. Another reason for caution, don't swap data from other 200gr HP's and assume safe ! OK, see I've had them over 15grs of 2400, no velo. data here. I'd use the 180gr for 2 legged varmints, the 200gr for game, though'd prefer a SWC or WFN cast instead then. This is where I sorely miss the Speer 225gr 3/4 jacket bullet ! steve b

steve b

Single-Sixer
I believe Marshall Staunton worked up alot of data with this bullet for his Bulldog. Google away, I don't have it handy. steve b

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I found some data in my Hornady manual. Must have overlooked it before as all that I saw was for swaged lead. Need to scrounge around for my Handloader articles.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
This bullet is extremely accurate in my NM Blackkhawk (4 5/8") and shoots right @ POA with the rear site bottomed out.

I use 9.6 grains of Power Pistol to get 1130 fps.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
2nd the Power Pistol load for the 200gr XTP.
It is excellent in the Flattop, but is more often used as a walking around load for my Lew Horton 3" S&W 624. Impressive performance there!

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I tried Power Pistol and 2400 with that bullet in my Flat Top 44 special. Bout the same load of Power Pistol as the other two fellers here. Superb accuracy.

With 2400, I think I made it up to 18.5 grains. Groups just kept getting tighter the more powder I added. Also superb in the accuracy department. This load required me to raise up the rear sight quite a bit, it shot very low (definitely higher velocity)

I think you could make up a scorcher of a load with this bullet and H110, and still remain at safe operating pressures for the Ruger flat top 44 spl.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
davidj said:
Found a box of them. Will try some in my bulldog. Thanks for the great information.

Keep in mind that the Power Pistol load I mentioned is for a Ruger NM BlackHawk --- I have no load info for BullDogs.