1977 era Colt Detective Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

that should be about the end of the two piece 'wood grain' boxes........seems like 1978 started the wood grained cardboard sleeve around two pieces of styrofoam, early styrofoam was brown, then later it was white.....been a long while since I last looked,so off the top of my head 8) :roll: :wink:

pete44ru

Hunter
This is a NIB 1977 Colt DS, with all papers/etc:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/995482429/Colt-Detective-Special-38-NIB.htm

wm_4817865.jpg

IDK what the breakpoint was, when the liner was changed from brown Styrofoam to white, but once upon a time I had an electroless nickle DS that came out of the Colt Custom Shop in 1976, that had the brown (tan) Styrofoam.

yes, that is about the time of the transition from the two piece cardboard to the sleeves and styrofoam, like others say, may need an actual shipping date.............many times the better selling guns get the newer packaging faster as they sell quicker, so would run out of boxes sooner,,,,see this with Colt as well as S&W and others, have seen slow moving S&W with older " diamond" grips and early boxes not ship till some years later ( early ,mid 60's

A good question for over at the Colt forum............ :roll:

Oh they care, believe me, fast as I would put them on the table, they are GONE........wish I had a PENNY ( one cent) for every Colt, S&W and Ruger box I've sold in my days of setting up at the gun shows, and I do NOT do the internet...........hhhmmm
........maybe once in a while here on the forum for other members............
gosh reminds me of all the boxes I got at Tulsa, Louisville, and New York....just those 3 trips, over 2000 boxes....... 8) :roll: "The King of cardboard....." :wink: