160 gr Hornady interlock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wigwam

Bearcat
Going to try these in my 260 rem compact. Wondering if anyone has tried them in this rifle.
They'll make a great bullet for the ranges I use this rifle for if the velocity is acceptable out of 16.5 in barrel. Thanks.

I'd suggest checking Hornady's specs on the impact velocity range. Although I suspect this bullet is designed for 6.5 Swede , the actual expansion velocity on target from a 16.5" barrel may end up being fairly low even at 200 yards.

Wigwam

Bearcat
If velocity is around 2300 fps then at 100 yards it should be around 2000 fps. Farthest shot I've had on deer is about 100 yards. Have never had a deer give me a standing broadside shot. Raking or front to rear and rear to front are common. Thick cover and always no stand hunting so I have to take any shot I'm given. Many black bear along with the big deer so close range penetration is what I'm looking for in this light rifle. There's always my 35 W or the 30-06 but I love this compact for all the walking I have to do.

Wigwam,
Do you have the capability to do a few expansion tests at 100 yards or more with your equipment? Using water filled 1 gallon milk jugs will give you some idea of what to expect but won't be a direct comparison to actual hits on game. It might take 5-6 jugs to "catch" your bullet if(?) it tracks straight during penetration. I'd hope to see some initial expansion in the rare case you get an open broadside shot.
I don't use the long, heavy, slow bullets as my hunting is often at long range, often in places where a "run off" makes life difficult, and requires faster expansion.

Wigwam

Bearcat
Yes I will be checking expansion. My bullets will be here from Midway this week so hopefully I'll test next wknd. Are jugs better for checking the way bullets track. I've always used wet paper with pine boards mixed in for penetration test.

I think wet newsprint w/boards will give you a false reading on expansion in tissue. I've used wet newsprint back when I had nearly unlimited amounts to play with. My opinion is it presents too much resistance and expands bullets quicker than one will see on tissue. As I mentioned, keeping the bullet running down the line of jugs can be a problem. If we have it, I use some bundled cardboard behind the jugs to catch bullets that exit or don't run true.
Last summer, I was testing some .308 ammo for use on elk. I ran out of jugs and cardboard before I could stop those Noslers.

Wigwam

Bearcat
You're probably right. I've always looked for good penetration but generally have been using higher velocity so if the bullets held together in the media I was good to go. This compact with a short barrel and high sectional density 6.5s is a different animal. I've done a bit of testing with the 140s and penetration is on par with my 180 gr 30 cal bullets of the same design. Less resistance is the way to test the heavy bullets to make sure they open even on lung shots.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Hornady started making those bullets early on for all of the 6.5 military caliber rifles brought back from WWII and later sold for almost nothing. The 6.5 Jap, Carcano, Greek M/S, and others are not going to match the velocity that a 260 will produce. So even out of a short barrel 260, the 160's will be driven at the velocity they were designed to work at in the first place. I suspect penetration will be outstanding and expansion acceptable. When loaded to max potential in the 6.5x55, that's a Scandinavian moose load. Bob!! :D

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
That's a really good bullet.
I've only shot the 160gr Sierra (sadly discontinued) through my 20"bbl Rem. Mod-7.
But I've used the very similar 117gr RN .257", as well as 250gr .338" RN Interloks.
Hornady suggests a 2,000fps minimum m/v for best performance. You should see about 2,300fps from your barrel.

Though my rifle has by actual measurement a 1/11" twist barrel, it shoots the Sierra's exceptionally well. I seat them out slightly but just short of engaging the rifling.
My best load is 43.0gr Reloader22. It yields 2,450fps and shoots 5-shots into 3/4" at 100yds. This is adequate for anything in N.America. The Sierra is a bit "softer" bullet than the Hornady Interlok.
fwiw, my rifle won't group a 129gr or heavier tipped boat-tail, and a Hornady 140gr SST won't hit the 100yd berm consistently.
140gr Speer and 140gr Hornady Interloks shoot well, too.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I don't hunt much anymore, but I talk to those that do and some are going back to the traditional bullets like the Hornady interlock and Sierra game king and pro hunter. It seems that the polymer tipped bullets, while sexy and with high BC's don't always perform on game as they should. For match shooting, the high BC tipped bullets work as advertised. When I started reloading 51 years ago, the bullets in the red, green, or yellow boxes did all that was asked of them. I bought a Mossberg Patriot rifle in 375 Ruger with walnut and iron sights and had intended on shooting the Hornady 225 Spire point bullet only to discover it was discontinued shortly thereafter. So is their 220 gr. 375 flat point I wanted for my 375 Winchester M94. I guess we can only buy what is available. Bob! :(

Wigwam

Bearcat
Loaded up a few to test this wknd if the weather permits. Just got 2 feet of snow and the wind is howling. Had to seat them a bit below OAL because the blunt nose catches the back of the barrel. Shouldn't be an issue with 4350. I can hear the powder when I shake the cases.
With a slower powder these bullets would definitely intrude into the powder.

Wigwam

Bearcat
I was able to get on the range today. Velocity of the load I settled on is around 2275 fps which I also feel is about max for this rifle with these bullets and imr 4350. Very accurate load. POI is 1.5 in lower then the 140s at 100 meters. Just need to test expansion. Should be a good close range load.

Wigwam

Bearcat
I was able to test today. Used a 21 in deep cardboard box filled with layers of shredded paper, newsprint and softcover books that were completely saturated with water. The shredded paper is a much softer medium then the other materials. I tested 3 bullet types.
160 Hornady interlock. Approximate impact vel. 2150 fps. Full pen. Found in snow.
140 Hornady interlock. 2350 fps. 17 in penetration.
140 Nosler partition. 2350 fps. 17 in penetration.

160 retained 118 gr. 74 % Expansion. .470
140 H. 123 gr. 88 % .620
140 N. P. 93 gr. 66 % .535

Both interlocks expanded down to the interlock ring in perfect form and drove straight.
Nosler lost all of the nose with separation occurring and had started to turn.

Latest posts