10/22 - Platform Introduction Requested

Help Support Ruger Forum:

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
Hello all,

I need an education on the 10/22 platform so I can properly and mentally categorize it in the firearm world. I am not a person who goes for maximum caliber just because larger mass and lower velocity equates to better stopping power. I own the SR9 and a Bushmaster XM15 E2S, both lower in mass but I have heard from several people that if they had a choice in weapons to have, the 10/22 would be high on their list.

I am open to comments on the benefits of this platform, it's advantages and to be honest, it's disadvantages. I do understand sport (fun) shooting as I skeet shoot on occasion but does this present any tactical purpose?

I hope this is received that in the intent that it is presented. If the 10/22 is a valued addition to a collection then I am all for it but I think my perception of the smaller caliber is skewed by, well, the smaller caliber.

Thanks to all who can provide insight to this 'new' potential platform.

As always, Happy and Safe Shooting.

hutchman

Blackhawk
From my perspective, the 10/22 is neither a "weapon" nor is it a "platform." I believe that the 10/22 is perhaps the most fun for the buck you can buy in the RIFLE world. Buy one, keep it stock, shoot thousands of rounds through it. Low buck fun at it's finest.

Buy one, install some simple modifications, shoot thousands of rounds through it and it is still low buck fun at it's finest.

Buy one, go crazy with serious mods, shoot thousands of rounds through it and it is still fun....but costs a little more.

Some have said that the 10/22 is the 57 Chevy of the rifle world - and it may well be.

But for sure......every gun collection needs at least one 10/22, and that one usually leads to others. It can be a sickness....

JMHO of course.

9x19

Hunter
"...any tactical purpose?"

For some, yes.

IDF1022.jpg

It is a very versatile "platform" in that it can be user-configured into pretty much any style of weapon you desire. Classic, tacti-cool, etc.

Take a peek at www.rimfirecentral.com when you have some time. It started out as a site dedicated to the 10/22 "platform" and can offer a wide array of examples of the things you can do with a 10/22. :D

GasGuzzler

Hunter
+ 1 on comments above but I'd more liken it to an El Camino or a small block Chevy truck. Will work forever stock but everyone and their mom makes all kinds of easy mods. You can make anything out of one nearly.

Because of all this, you'll get 78678587 different opinions on the good and the bad.

Being critical most could say the trigger is notchy and does not contribute to ultimate accuracy yet there are so many ways to help this and it's not a problem for all users. Still on the critical side, many could say the wood stock finish is somewhat cheap on the base carbine. Buy a $30 take off and refinish it the way you want. The bolt clang on the rear stop is louder than the ammo going off if wearing muffs. A cheap and easy to install buffer fixes this. The bolt release is not as a normal human would design. Buy a modded one for $8 or Dremel the original for free. There are solutions for every niche complaint.

The pluses are numerous.

Go to a LGS and buy a standard carbine for about $200 plus fines. Take it home and fire 400 through it the first day for another $15. Swab the bore and put it away. Repeat. Like I already mentioned, there are solutions for every issue.....spend a tiny bit here and there are clean up the feel a little more. You'll be happy.

Frank in GA.

Bearcat
hmmm ..."Tactical Purpose".
Well, it's a heck of a good training platform for the youngest of shooters.
It's also an easily modifiable platform to put it into just about any configuration you want to from stock to Tacticool to Precision rifle and all for much less $$$ than changing an AR.
The 10-22 "Platform" is offered in a rifle platform stock in many variations which can be modified by the end user to a nearly endless variety of configurations. It is also sold in a PISTOL configuration if you can believe that as the Ruger Charger! Which in itself shares many but, not all the variations of the rifle due to legal restrictions. Still the Charger is a great long range capable pistol easily capable of keeping up with many AR's in .223 caliber out to 300 yards, and surprisingly they share similar bullet diameters.
The advantage of the 10-22 platform in tactical practice is rather unique in that the 10-22 platform cycles much faster than does an AR platform and it's been my experience to witness guys with 10-22's get more hits with faster times than the guys with full sized AR's. So what does this mean? It means that this platform if you will, imparts a "very cost effective" practice of disciplines and muscle memory to shooters...both young and not so young which can be beneficial when transitioned to larger calibers. Nearly every practice of shooting principles used in larger calibers may be first learned with a 10-22 platform, from safety to tactical to precision and all for a very cost effective price.
Everything has it's limitations however, in the case of the 10-22 "platform" I think the "Fun Factor" outweighs it's limitations by far. As a firearms instructor I've seen soldiers who come to the range to practice with an AR that they either own or rent but are limited by the pocketbook on how much training they can get in. However, once it is explained to them that they can shoot a 10-22 platform ALL DAY LONG for a fraction of price because ammo is cheaper they make the switch, shoot more often, learn the skills quicker at a fraction of the cost to them and become better shooters than those that choose not to because they can afford to shoot and practice more often.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I don't like to think of the 10/22 as a "platform" as so many do. I kinda like the classic definition of a "platform" as a raised, horizontal surface for people to stand on, and the term's been assumed by the gun and computer industries, among others, mostly for the purpose of tossing out important sounding terms. But that's neither here nor there!

To me, the 10/22's an inexpensive, sorta crude but pretty workable, .22 plinker/small game carbine that benefits most from having copious amounts of ammo run thru it. Used that way, it'll last pretty close to forever, you'll learn or adapt to its screwball trigger and other idiosyncrasies, and I'd rather spend $100-$200 on ammo than on a different barrel, etc. It's "minute of soda can" accurate out of the box, making it a lot of fun to shoot, but certainly not a serious target piece. (Those who have the "T" variant may have different thoughts, of course, but they've already spent twice the price of the base model just to bring their rifle home.)

HOWEVER, 10/22s are kinda like Harleys: there seems to be an unwritten law that they CANNOT be left stock, and there's a huge aftermarket industry devoted to any kinds of mods you might like: tacti-cool, target, "exotic" and so forth. The rifles ARE capable of incredible accuracy, though generally not in out of the box form: we had a fellow at our old range who had plenty of money and loved to play w/ some of it. He shot an Anschutz target rifle (and quite well, at that) plus various 10/22s. His "goal" was to see if he could approach the Anschutz' accuracy w/ one of his Rugers, and eventually, he DID! Of course he joked that the Anschutz cost him $100 less than what he had in THAT 10/22 by then... and it had developed a taste for $10/box Eley target ammo along the way, too!

So, if you're new to the 10/22, I'd suggest you buy a stock "classic" carbine model, a lot of ammo, and go shoot it for a while. Find out what you like and leave it alone. Find out what you don't, read up on what's available in aftermarket parts or procedures, and change it. When you're done, you'll have "your" 10/22 and ought to be a happy camper! For a while: I'd suggest most people who do that sort of stuff seem to get kind of hooked, so be sure to leave some room in the safe for MORE 10/22s in the future! If you're like me, and just kill cans w/ it, a single 10/22 is fine, but for the serious players, well... ;)

Rick C

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
Thanks to everyone for their input. I have gained a better understanding of the 10/22 and where it fits into it's own place in the rifle/weapon world. I think I was confused when I first heard of it and people had pronounced it to be a necessary addition in any gun collection when the SHTF. With one person stating that it can take down anything from a squirrel to a moose (?).

I checked prices at my local gun dealer and they are very affordable, and thanks to 9x19's link, a lot can be done with it. I will add it to my wish list of future gun acquisitions.

Again, thanks for the comments and information.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's not a platform,,,, it's a rifle.
Yes, you can modify it,, but you can do that with most guns.

One thing not mentioned here is the FACT that the "small caliber" 22 LR is a very deadly round. It has long been the choice of many poachers, and it can take down deer with a properly placed bullet. Low recoil, inexpensive, quieter than larger calibers, and deadly.

bjones2571

Bearcat
papaSR9 said:
Hello all,

I need an education on the 10/22 platform so I can properly and mentally categorize it in the firearm world. I am not a person who goes for maximum caliber just because larger mass and lower velocity equates to better stopping power. I own the SR9 and a Bushmaster XM15 E2S, both lower in mass but I have heard from several people that if they had a choice in weapons to have, the 10/22 would be high on their list.

I am open to comments on the benefits of this platform, it's advantages and to be honest, it's disadvantages. I do understand sport (fun) shooting as I skeet shoot on occasion but does this present any tactical purpose?

I hope this is received that in the intent that it is presented. If the 10/22 is a valued addition to a collection then I am all for it but I think my perception of the smaller caliber is skewed by, well, the smaller caliber.

Thanks to all who can provide insight to this 'new' potential platform.

As always, Happy and Safe Shooting.

I think someone's been watching too much Nutnfancy on Youtube again.

Seriously, its a whole heck of a lot of fun to shoot and tinker with. Everyone should own at least one.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The Ruger 10/22 has been factory produced and custom built into more variations than virtually any other rifle imaginable. No matter what you do to an AR, it still looks like an AR. The 10/22 can be anything you want it to be from a classic sporter to a heavy barrel varmint blaster to a tactical trainer. If the 10/22 ain't a "platform", I don't know what is.

hutchman

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
...... If the 10/22 ain't a "platform", I don't know what is.

I just don't like terms like "platform" that have come into general usage over the last few years. To me it's a rifle......nothing more nothing less.

However, I guess it could be a receiver with several different attachments... :shock:

9x19

Hunter
Regardless what you call it, according to the BATFE this is a 10/22, upon which many different styles of rifle can be built:

pix413350417.jpg

And if you don't like the Ruger version, there are others:

pix027978982.jpg

pix988672740.jpg

pix490327621.jpg

Even some castings you have to finish yourself:

pix934956150.jpg

Think about AR15s... and how many manufacturers make one and then how many more manufacturers make parts for this rifle and you realize that the AR is the Barbie Doll of gun guys..... the 10/22 is Barbie's little sister... Skipper.

m657

Buckeye
"Seriously, its a whole heck of a lot of fun to shoot and tinker with. Everyone should own at least one."

beware.....if the bug bites......"one" is not enough......

I just discovered a page here somewhere, that a guy has built dozens of different historical replicas from WW2 and on up, from many countries, all based on on the 10/22 as pictured above.

I had never thought of 98% of his incredible variations....as some are into very exotic styles I've never looked at twice. Until now.

I had never considered even the 'tactical' potential of the 10/22 until my local club started allowing 22 carbines in the Steel Challenge matches. At first I was rather put off by the very thought of it....but those guys were having FUN!!!

....and I had this loved but underused target 10/22 just wasting away......until I reconfigured it a bit and produced a match with my very best competition results.....who would have imagined the satisfaction of the song from 5 reactive steel targets at distances from 20'~75' at different heights, all in under 3 seconds average through 30 strings!!!

....and have change left from $5 ammo purchase!!!!

Long a 10/22 owner, but just recently an ENTHUSIAST for 10/22!!!!

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
I was at my local gun superstore again yesterday and made a point to look at the Ruger 10/22 up close. While holding it I visualized modding it and having a heck of a lot of fun.

It is officially now on my To-Get list.

As suggested in this thread, I will go with a stock model and then mod it as I go along.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

betterlate111

Bearcat
Remember when people used to claim hitmen shot ice bullets out of 10/22s? Those were the days.

Latest posts