10-22 collector

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dreamer

Single-Sixer
Actually liked this after I picked one up. Fiber optic sights help these old eyes and I kinda liked the molded in swivel attachments . Used to always pick up a brick of 22 at gun shows if I didn't find anything , now easier to buy a rifle

OldePhart

Blackhawk
dreamer said:
...Used to always pick up a brick of 22 at gun shows if I didn't find anything , now easier to buy a rifle

Yeah...does anybody know what the real skinny is on that? I'm not talking about kicking off a big political discussion (there's a forum for that and you'll notice I'm not asking there). We all know that the current administration is not the shooter's friend so I understand the general shortages in pistol powders and ammo in general and what have you. But what are the technical reasons that 22LR and 22WMR are more scarce than decent defensive ammo? I've got my suspicions about the political background (my grandkids' generation could be the first that doesn't get introduced to shooting at an early age because of lack of ammo in suitable calibers). But, how did they pull it off?

I've got a few bricks that I bought before the shortage but I've been afraid to shoot it...figure if this keeps up a few more years I might be able to sell it and put all 11 of my grandkids through college...if not, I'm going to need it for introducing some of them to the joys of shooting.

John

1984Landcruiser

Bearcat
John -

22LR and 22short are pretty easy to find here in Denver. Dick's Sporting Goods usually has 22LR on the shelf (40 round boxes for $2.50) and I occasionally find bricks of 500 rounds there for $25. Cabella's here in town usually has it in stock when I am there (last I found was 100 round boxes of CCI MiniMags for $8). Our local gun shops usually have it in stock as well (I picked up several 100 round boxes of 22short there this week). The 22 ammo was fairly scarce here until early fall, but it seems like the supply chain has finally opened up and the hoarders have quit taking it all (mostly to be resold at gunshows for a hefty profit).

David

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Thanks David. I'm not seeing that here in the DFW area here yet but it may be just bad timing on my part and the fact that I don't get a chance to hit the better stores that often. When I have hit Cabela's though they never have it in stock...and I swear there is dust on the shelf where the 22LR stuff would be at both of the nearest WalMart stores. Everybody has up signs "no more than three boxes per customer of 22LR" and the such and I always laugh when I see them because there are never ANY boxes.

Oh well, just have to start checking every day or two, I guess. One of my grand kids that lives in this area is coming up on being ready for her first trip to the range this spring. I'll allow as how good defensive ammo in 9mm and .40 is a lot more available than it was just six months ago, so hopefully 22LR will follow.

John

1984Landcruiser

Bearcat
John -

Try Cabella's and Dick's on Friday mornings. That's when I usually go and have had pretty good luck.

David

40-round boxes of .22LR . . . definitely a hiccup in the time/space continuum.

Guess they figure they can't sell a fifty-round box for over $3.

:shock: :roll: :shock: