$1 start 77/44 package deal!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Yes , I believe it'll do fine too. Hard to make that leap and hit the button though! I have a NIB 77MkII RBBZ 280 Rem , one of less than 35 or so made , and a NIB No.1A 7mm-08 to list also and thinking of the $1 start too. I think its the way to do it…good guns always bring good money it seems.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Yeah we're headed in the right direction now!

The upcoming No.1 7mm-08 is recent production , not a red pad. Might list that the same way later today.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I sell a lot and don't understand the mentality of tiny start bids. ..Good luck
Penny starts with no reserve draw the bidders in early, then other people see a whole pile of bids on an item and want in on the action. It's all psychological, plus people understand that it is worth at least the current bid because another guy is already willing to pay it.

Something listed for $1000 minimum bid is not going to be as attractive as something that is bid up to $999 with 40 bids on it. And the penny minimum item is definitely going to sell and be gone, whereas the $1000 minimum item with no bids might cause folks to wait and see and then forget. And the $1000 minimum can cause folks to wonder if it might only be worth $800.

And if you have the guts to start it at $1.00, you should be able to muster the courage to start it at a penny. That way, the people (and they are out there) who search for $0.01 starting bid auctions will see it (but they won't see it at $1.00 minimum). That is easy to search for from the Advanced search page:
1703969002314.png

One of the sites, maybe it was AuctionArms, used to have a one-button search for penny auctions. AuctionArms also used to put a penny symbol next to items in the search results that had penny starts and no reserve. Speaking of reserves, using one defeats the purpose of penny starts and ends up being a worse idea than a high starting bid. Buyers hate reserves so much that there is another Advanced search option to eliminate those ads from the results:
1703969275279.png

I usually do penny starts on popular items that I know people are searching for. I might not use it if I were selling an item that didn't have much of a following or something that was not very desirable. Most Rugers should do fine for a penny start.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, what WMG said.
I usually skip past those that start their deal at the asking price. To me that's a classified ad, not an auction.
Exceptions are if I know the seller and if the opening bid is pretty reasonable.

On the $1 openings, I place a bid for the max amount I'll pay. I never check it again. If that bid wins they'll let me know. Otherwise I can live without it.

...I usually do penny starts on popular items that I know people are searching for. I might not use it if I were selling an item that didn't have much of a following or something that was not very desirable. Most Rugers should do fine for a penny start.

I think you're correct, with a couple of caveats - popular big ticket items (like quality firearms) do better with penny auctions than do lower cost items, longer auctions (1-2 weeks) often do better than short auctions, and the item has to be listed in the correct category.

I've won so many penny auctions over the years, for far less than the item is worth, that I do not personally have the courage to start anything at a penny! Instead, I'll start the auction well below market price, but at a level where I won't be wanting to go out & get drunk if there's just one bid (and I'm generally satisfied with my results).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Last edited:
On the 1c auctions I do what hitman does and bid the max I'm willing to pay on something I'd like to have. And if I get it fine, if I don't then I really didn't need it. Sometimes I will check back and see how the auctions doing since it's on my Page anyway. I love WMG's auctions and always try to make sure he gets a little bit from me.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
WMG is spot on with the leper colony's caveat. I have sold 2 Freedom Arms revolvers in the past with penny starts. The bidders did not disappoint; ended up getting more than I thought on both; one just a little, the other quite a bit.

Now if you post a run of the mill used Glock 17 for a penny start, well.....

Last edited:

Latest posts