Super Blackhawk Grip Frame on Medium Frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
Anyone here fit a Super Blackhawk grip frame (MR00300) to a medium frame New Model 44 Special flattop? I got to get some space between my middle finger and that trigger guard. A Ruger tech suggested this grip frame. For some reason I was thinking that the Super Blackhawk grip frames were drilled differently.

How much work am I in for, fitting this to my gun? Any better suggestions? I can polish. I can lightly file. I usually know when to ask for help before I screw it up permanently. If it's something that the trigger will fit in and bolt on, no problem. And work like it should. I can finish it.

Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
The hole pattern is the same.
Depending upon the vintage of the replacement g/f,, you MAY have a little file work on the ears as there is a height difference. I never worry about the small amount if one is "proud" over the frame as long as it doesn't interfere with how I shoot.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
I put a grip frame off of a New model S/S SBH on my flat top 44 special no problem. You may have to make the little groove for the Pawl . I did.

SAJohn

Hunter
I put a SBK grip frame on my Anniversary .44 Magnum Flattop (along with a super hammer). The main frame is a bit proud to the grip frame but all works greats.

After this picture was taken I installed walnut grips.

John

SAJohn

Hunter
Thank you BB. I also made and fitted an extended hammer plunger so the cylinder will not develop a ring. I also did an action job to get a smooth trigger pull of 2 lbs 2 oz. So this is my new model Super Blackhawk flattop with a flutted cylinder. :)

John

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You don't have to go all the way to the Super BH dragoon grip, in fact some don't like the square back trigger guard. You can use a SBH Hunter grip frame with round guard for even more knuckle space, but they only come in SS. You'll have to have it blued if you want blue. Or the SBH grip frame for those with 5 1/2" barrels or less (the XR3-RED steel grip frame) will also give you more knuckle room, but the same length as your Flat Top XR3 grip frame.
The standard XR3-RED size grip frame adds 1/8" knuckle clearance over the NV and FT's XR3 grip frame and the SBH adds an additional 1/16".

F-gripsquare3.jpg

SBH Hunter round guard grip frame in contrasting stainless:

medium800.jpg

I also put one on my SBH.

NOTE: For any replacement grip frame ears to fit your flat top frame the closest, be sure to get a year 2000 grip frame or newer (there was a change), or else the ears will be too short.

Also it's a lot less filing and fitting if you get a used take off grip frame, instead of a new one.

edlmann

Blackhawk
BucolicBuffalo said:
Anyone here fit a Super Blackhawk grip frame (MR00300) to a medium frame New Model 44 Special flattop? I got to get some space between my middle finger and that trigger guard. A Ruger tech suggested this grip frame. For some reason I was thinking that the Super Blackhawk grip frames were drilled differently.
As Hondo44 sez, you could also try the Hunter grip frame: as long as a SBH, but the trigger guard has a rounded back. Uses SBH grips. AFAIK, available in stainless only.

p_780000477_1.jpg

Lots of elegant solutions suggested here.

I have fairly large hands and fat fingers and have never been bitten by any SA with monster loads. I learned as a boy to grip a SA with my pinky finger tucked under the base of the grip. It seems more than natural...it just seems right. I don't know if that was the original intent, but it seems the bevel on the grips makes it more comfortable/ergonomic than the sharp, squared-off bottom that I see more frequently these days. And I don't know if it's more than coincidence, but tucking the pinky finger creates a 1/8-1/4" gap between my knuckle and the frame. Whether shooting one handed standing or knocking over rams at 200 meters from the Creedmoor position, it's a technique that works with any SA without having to modify the gun.

I'm about to take possession of my first ever Bisley, so I may be trying a full 3-finger grip for the first time.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My buddy has large hands so years ago I modified his Super Single Six for him to match his Super Blackhawk.

Obtained a Ruger 9 1/2" barrel, cut it to 7 1/2" and added a SBH dragoon grip frame and hammer:

orig.jpg

Latest posts