Hunter grip frame ??????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I'm a little confused. I've owned and still own a few single action Rugers. At present I own 2 Bisley gripped Blackhawks -- a Bisley Super Blackhawk " hunter " ( 44 mag , 7 1/2' ) , along with a Bisley Super Blackhawk convertible 5 1/2" in 45C/.45acp. Now for my question ..In a recent thread several members referred to different grip frames on the Blackhawks : Bisley , Plowhandle , and a " Hunter " grip frame. What is a Hunter grip frame ? Obviously I know what the Hunter model is ( I own one ) but it can be had in both a Plow handle and the Bisley grip frame .... confusion or did they simply misspeak ??

regards , brushunter

Enigma

Hunter
The Hunter grip frame is simply a Super Blackhawk grip frame with a round, rather than 'square' or 'Dragoon' trigger guard. It's still a plowhandle, just longer than the normal variety.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I like the longer Hunter grip frame with the rounded trigger guard. That's why I'm gonna change out the shorter one on my brand new SBH mentioned here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=232476

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The "SBH Hunter" model standard grip frame is the long plow handle 'Hunter' grip frame.

SBHs are only made in 44 Mag.

Any Ruger model has been made in a Bisley 'Version' at one time or another even the single six .22s and .32 Mags.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
[...] SBHs are only made in 44 Mag. [...]
The last time I wrote that members posted pictures of .45 Colts stamped SBH. William's kid hasn't been able to keep the model names straight.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
k22fan said:
Hondo44 said:
[...] SBHs are only made in 44 Mag. [...]
The last time I wrote that members posted pictures of .45 Colts stamped SBH. William's kid hasn't been able to keep the model names straight.

Yes you're right, I've seen those. There are lots of anomalies with Rugers, just enough to confuse everyone. They use 'SBH' for distributor exclusives that can be a hodgepodge combination of parts for any number of special exclusive SBHs in different calibers.

Regular production has fixed nomenclature, Steel XR3-RED size grip, Dragoon Grip, Bisley and Hunter, blue or stainless are 44 Mag. SBHs.

Just a distinction for 'Regular production' and I should have written that.