SR 1911 FTF Problem- Help please?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Surfgunner

Bearcat
I see a lot of knowledgable folks out here so am hoping one of you can help.

Just got my SR 1911 and have about 500 rounds of Federal 230 FMJ through it. The problem is FTF. The rounds get "stuck" about 1/4 inch from all the way in. Usually the first round or two in a mag. I have made sure I'm not babying the slide when I release it, and even locked it back so I could pop the release to strip a round cleanly. Way too many failures. Interestingly it seems to happen more when the gun is cold. Sometimes I have to manually clear an entire mag. It happens less in "normal" action when firing and reloading automatically, but it has a quite a few times.

I bought some CMC mags, they're WORSE.

Help?

gunman42782

Hunter
Have tried any other kind of ammo? If that doesn't work, I would carefully polish the feed ramp on both the frame and barrel. Polish, not remove any metal.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Agree with gunman. What kind of mags are you using?

BTW, "FTF" can mean "failure to fire" or "failure to feed." Same end result, gun no go bang, but for different reasons. :wink:

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Agree with above, change ammo. Not unusual for a gun not to handle a certain type, but handle many others. If it still does it email Ruger, they'll send you a prepaid label and fix it right up. Had one doing that a while back, a KelTec, they replaced the ejector- not sure why, they wouldn't say- but they also polished the feed ramp, been great ever since.

Surfgunner

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice guys.

I didn't think about the ammo because Federal FMJ is my default for problems or new guns. Good point though. another good point about the abbreviation.

Had been using factory mags, then bought the CMC, but factory works better. I have called Ruger and may send it back but we'll see.

I'll let you know how how it turns out since this seems to be a rare problem for the SR 1911 and in my experience with other Rugers it's very rare. I buy them because they eat almost anything.

hittman

Staff member
Lots of good advice here ...... ammo, mags, polish feed ramp. Any limp-wristing happening?

Surfgunner

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice guys.

I didn't think about the ammo because Federal FMJ is my default for problems or new guns. Good point though. another good point about the abbreviation.

Had been using factory mags, then bought the CMC, but factory works better. I have called Ruger and may send it back but we'll see.

I'll let you know how how it turns out since this seems to be a rare problem for the SR 1911 and in my experience with other Rugers it's very rare. I buy them because they eat almost anything.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
Check your extractor. Remove the slide and slip a cartridge up the bolt face there should be very little resistance as the rim slides up and in behind the extractor. It is very common for a gun (1911) too ship with an over tensioned extractor.

Surfgunner

Bearcat
I'll check the extractor. I put some more rounds through it, cleaned it well and then manually ran several mags through with a lot fewer problems. Not perfect yet, but better. Looks like the old S&W 645 stays in the nightstand a bit longer. I've also loaded up the mags and am letting them sit a while, someone said they may need more breaking and the springs are definitely tight.

Just FYI I called Ruger CS and they couldn't have been nicer. I had a prepaid mailing label in just a few minutes. Hoping not to need it, but we'll see.

P.S. no limp wristing here, nice stable platform.

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

Precision32

Blackhawk
If the gun is within 1/4" of going into battery, you're well past the extractor and feed ramps influence.

I would look at the chamber and breech face for burrs.

Surfgunner

Bearcat
In case anyone is interested, Here's the final report:

I cleaned it thoroughly, manually cycled about 10 mags through, and took it out today to put another couple hundred rounds through before sending it back, hoping to avoid same Works much better. One FTF in the whole lot. I'm probably still going to have it polished, just because, but it seems to be as reliable as I've been hearing, and ain't that a nice result?

Three types of ammo, including SJHP, all fine. So the acid test, mixed all types of rounds in the Ruger and CMC mags, still okay.

Guess it just needed a little patience and persistence.

Thanks for all the help though guys. Much appreciated. :D

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
You might want to try a slightly heavier recoil spring until your new gun is broken in, then you can go back to the factory spring.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV%27T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#3

Darkwolf

Bearcat
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
You might want to try a slightly heavier recoil spring until your new gun is broken in, then you can go back to the factory spring.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV%27T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#3

SR1911s ship with pretty heavy recoil springs.

I had this problem with the factory mags until I left them loaded up for a couple of weeks. Everything went pretty smooth after that, but you are having the same issue with other mags so that may not be it for you.

oscar

Bearcat
I had a similar problem with mine the first time I took it out. I had it lubricated, but not enough. I am now using Rig on the rails and it is working fine.