thoughts/opinions please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4521dln

Single-Sixer
I have a new (10/11/11) ruger lc9 with crimson trace laser , and 1 additional mag (2 total). both mags have the pinky extensions. I have never fired this pistol. I am thinking about trading it for a nib Glock 30sf. the glock also comes with 2 mags. YES I DO LIKE GLOCKS. I HAD A RUGER LCP AND LOVED IT. I did not like the 380 caliber. The lc9 has not grown on me, as of yet. I do not have a ccw lincense as of yet. Two questions please 1st is this a good even up trade ? 2nd if i ever did decide to get a ccw permit , is the Glock 30sf a good ccw weapon. thanks

hittman

Staff member
I have both those guns but not a laser on the LC9. They're two very different animals.

I don't know the price on the lasers so am not much help on the money part of your potential trade. Seems to me however that most used G30's in excellent condition will bring in the $450.00 range which of course is a lot more than the LC9 without the light.

Making the G30 a CCW piece would depend on your comfort with it's added size, in relation to the LC9. Only you know for sure if how you dress for work and casual lets you conceal a gun as large as the G30.

Seems to me you can't go wrong regardless of which one you decide on.

Verndog

Blackhawk
4521dln said:
... I have never fired this pistol.
...The lc9 has not grown on me, as of yet.

Thought I'd point out the obvious. Things cannot "grow" without water. Shooting the LC9 would be the water in this case. :wink:

Don't ask me about Glocks though...I would not own one, but that's me.

Sinkhole

Bearcat
Again its an apples to oranges situation. I would stay with the LC9 if your a 9mm fan. If your a 45acp fan I would say you would do better with a M&P45c than the 30SF. Shoot the LC9 and then decide for yourself. But don't make a decision before shooting the LC9. The other thing is to consider is why are they trading out of a more expensive gun, for a cheaper gun straight up? What's wrong with the Glock?

As posted, how can you compare the two if you have not fired the LC9?

Then again it all depends on what you plan to do with either of the pistols.... if you just plan to hold it and look at it a couple of times a week then I guess it would be which ever one looks best and feels best for you.

With concealed carry, after you get past 100% function and being able to hit a pumpkin from 5ft away, what is most important is comfortable carry....

Competition shooting is an entirely different world and is beyond my experiences.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sinkhole said:
why are they trading out of a more expensive gun, for a cheaper gun straight up? What's wrong with the Glock?

The LC9 has a Crimson Trace laser.

The Glock is WAY bigger.

I'd carry the LCP and trade for the Glock, and have the best of everything.

What's wrong with the 380 caliber ?

REV

I carry a Sig 230 which is a stainless steel metal frame 380 and all I can say is it is smooth and just the right size for me to conceal with out being too small... but it has more recoil than my 9mms.

Is just about the same size as the SR9c

bspitt

Single-Sixer
I like Glocks and own one (not the 30SF), but it going to be hard to beat the comfort of an LC9. The LC9 is not my favorite pistol to shoot at the range, but I practice with it often. However it is my daily carry. Easy to conceal IWB tucked in under a dress shirt or tee shirt. I use to daily carry a .38 snubbie in my front pocket, but with the LC9 IWB I free up a pocket. I would say that is a good trade..but if your looking for comfort and ease of Carry, hard to beat the LC9.

The LC9 to me would make a much better CC pistol than the larger Glock, and the Crimson Trace laser makes it a beauty to aim.
Stick with the LC9, and for protection get some Critical Defence or Duty ammo.