Source For Montana Bullet Works Load Data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Anybody know of a good load data source manual for Montana Bullet Works Bullets and/or other commercially cast bullets? I have only loaded jacketed bullets but I am really itching to load some commercially hard cast in 44 mag. All recommendations are really appreciated!
hs

44shootist

Single-Sixer
I just use the data from my Speer manual for cast seams to work fine, also my Lyman manual has cast loads, or I get data from Hodgdon powders web site.
Your not going to find data for the exact bullet your using like you can using a Speer manual with a Speer bullet.
But if you use the lead bullet data for the same weight and close as you can find for type it works fine.
For 44 mag lead, I like to use IMR trail boss powder, data is at IMR powder web site. (same site as Hodgdon.)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I don't load .44 Mag but I do load cast bullets. I would call them about it. I've called S&S Casting about their bullets and recommended loads several times and they were right on the money.

Like 44Shootist, my Lyman book is very helpful as a reference and I also use the Hodgdon site.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Montana Bullet Works lists the mold used for each bullet listed making it easy to determine the proper load data.

For instance, I use his RCBS 82080 .44 cal SWC. I know this to be the same as a Lyman 429421 and use the data from the Lyman manual. In .41 cal I use his H&G 258 which is the same as a Lyman 410459.

If you're going to shoot lead you really need the Lyman manual, maybe the cast bullet handbook or both.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Oregon Trail publishes a loading manual that covers their cast bullets from 32 caliber to 45 caliber, both handgun and rifle. Well done in my opinion.

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Many thanks to all for the replies. I have been doing some reading on loading lead since my post and the more I read the more I realize how much more I need to read!! There appears to be many more variables involved in loading lead vs loading jacketed bullets. Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate all the replies.
hs

mikld

Blackhawk
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook covers most designs of lead bullets. Also it's important to use bullets correctly sized for your gun. I shoot bullets the same diameter as the cylinder throats in my Ruger, Dan Wesson and S&W revolvers. Ruger cylinder throats are .431" so I size the bullets to be used in it to .431". Best accuracy and no leading...