Detachable receiver sight for Ruger #1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJ556

Buckeye
Here's something that I have cobbled together over the past week. I will not hunt with an NECG receiver sight. It's like shooting at your game through a peep hole in a solid wall. I am very used to the XS ghost ring sights and that is the only receiver sight that use on any of my hunting guns. I made this one by cutting and filing a ledge on the bottom of a Burris Ruger to weaver adapter and cutting and reshaping the attachment portion of an XS low Weaver back-up sight. I then drilled and tapped two 4-40 flathead countersunk allen screws and attached the two. It is low enough that the front sight will not have to be much higher than the factory sight. It attaches and de-taches in a few seconds with the Torx wrench supplied with the Burris adapter.
IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Nice idea and execution. I have no problems with the NECG ones myself - have 'em on a few #1's but can see how having something with a larger hole that what is available for the NEGC one is a benefit for some.

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
Nice job, but I don't quite understand what the problem is with NECG peep sights. I have one on my No.1 7x57 RSI

RJ556

Buckeye
The problem with the NECG is following moving game. The sight body and aperature blocks out the whole area except what you can see through the peep. Using the XS ghost ring allows you to see all around the animal and get a sight picture on it faster. I learned this shooting deer and hoggs using an M600 Remington with a Williams FP receiver sight, with the aperature removed. Then along came the XS ghost ring. They are so much better, that I never looked back. If the NECG works for you, then good for you!

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
good stuff here.

Hunt techniques morphing towards need for such sights.
I have XS Ghost on a Trapper and have ordrered and received NECG for Ruger No 1 International-have not used either yet.

RJ556

Buckeye
You can just screw on any Weaver based receiver sight to the Burris adapter, but the problem then is that it places the sight aperture too high and you also end up with a lot of unnecessary not so good looking hardware on the back end of your rifle. :wink:

Sugar River

Buckeye
RJ, I've been toying with the same idea. Could you show/give more detail on how you modified those 2 parts?

Thanks
Pete

RJ556

Buckeye
Pete, I cut off all but about .300" of the .100" thick mounting part of the XS low Weaver back-up sight. Then shorten both ends of the Burris to Weaver adapter and at the back of the adapter, cut away the top portion, .100 deep and .300 into the adapter, so it will accept the mounting portion that you left on the XS sight. Epoxy the two together then drill and tap for a couple of 4-40 countersunk screws. It takes quite a bit of filing to get a good fit. You can use a Dremel, but you can also easily have accidents. You can shape the front however you like. If I knew how to do a computer drawing, I would.

coyote

Single-Sixer
RJ556 said:
Here's something that I have cobbled together over the past week. I will not hunt with an NECG receiver sight. It's like shooting at your game through a peep hole in a solid wall. I am very used to the XS ghost ring sights and that is the only receiver sight that use on any of my hunting guns. I made this one by cutting and filing a ledge on the bottom of a Burris Ruger to weaver adapter and cutting and reshaping the attachment portion of an XS low Weaver back-up sight. I then drilled and tapped two 4-40 flathead countersunk allen screws and attached the two. It is low enough that the front sight will not have to be much higher than the factory sight. It attaches and de-taches in a few seconds with the Torx wrench supplied with the Burris adapter.
]

i too have called XS and begged they make something like yours. i even sent them a pix of it.

if they continue to refuse, please consider finding someone you could work with who'd be interested in doing it for members here, modifying existing ones like yours, on a semi-production basis. i'd LOVE one!

Latest posts