LCP- is the slide hard to handle?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Had a small autoloader before, took a monkey-wrench to rack the slide- this is for my wife, and before I go looking for one to try out, thought I'd ask the experts.

Buteo

Bearcat
+1 to what Big Stu said. They do smooth out after putting some rounds down range. The only caution I give people on the LCP is that it is not a fun range gun. 50 to 100 rounds is about the most I put through mine at a time. However, for it's intended purpose (CCW), it is a wonderful choice. I do wish it locked back after the last round.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
jeffadaklin said:
Had a small autoloader before, took a monkey-wrench to rack the slide- this is for my wife, and before I go looking for one to try out, thought I'd ask the experts.

Everyones idea of what's hard or easy is relative to them only.
Best answer here is to take her to your LGS and try it herself first.
One other thing I point people to when this subject comes up is to have them read this short tutorial on racking the slide, it can be of great help to anyone having problems racking.
http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx
Sal

A

Anonymous

Everyones idea of what's hard or easy is relative to them only.
Best answer here is to take her to your LGS and try it herself first.

Yep, realtive to the person, no doubt. But that other one was hard as the devil for me, and impossible for her. In a FTF she woulda been SOL.
The reason I'm checking first, is around here it's hard to find a Ruger in stock, the 2 real gun shops mostly carry Glocks and S&Ws, they don't keep big inventories. So I wanted to take my time and try and find one in stock I could put my hands on, before dragging her to the store- of course, to let her check hand-fit etc.
I know when she gets there she'll be 'oh that's a cute one, oh look at that one!' for an hour or so, and if I could have something ready for her inspection maybe I could save myself some time.
Thanks guys, tremendous help already. Sounds like I may get two!

sixgun

Single-Sixer
I tried a SR9c for my wife and she couldn't rack it. I ended up getting her a S&W 442 which is simple and easy for her. Might also look at Rugers LCR hear they are popular as well. My wife isn't small and weak, she just doesn't have the strength to work the slide. I feel like you about not handicapping her with a pistol that she can't operate with ease.
I choose the hammerless to prevent getting caught or hung up in her purse or clothing..

A

Anonymous

I'm gonna have to work with her on the 380, she has fired my 9c and a 38 special but prefers somehting with less recoil- and since 380 is about as small as we really want to go, I'm going to see if she can handle it well. One convenient thing, if we can't fire one before I get it, and she decides she doesn't like it- oh well- guess I'll have another pistol. The 38 she fired was my Taurus 85 UltraLight- she likes the weight, not the power.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Recoil on a pocket 380 is pretty snappy. My LCP is not fun to shoot at all, but I manage it pretty well. I was looking at the Diamonback .380 and I liked it a lot, but the slide is a guaranteed biter for my large hands. The slide was fairly easy to rack, and the gun is identical to a Glock, just shrunk down a bit. I also liked the S & W Bodyguard, but I did not want a laser. Try these both on for size and let us know.

Latest posts