Detachable shoulder stock for Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I am not sure of the legalities of this, but I wonder how hard it would be to make a detachable shoulder stock for my 7 1/2 inch Vaquero (original style). Right now while I am waiting for my left hand to heal up, I really can't use a rifle or shotgun and hold it up for more than a second. I can't afford to buy one of those Uberti SAA carbines, so this is what I am thinking. I was thinking of retrofitting something like a 1873-1894 buttstock with a way maybe to secure it where it can be detached.

TDF

Single-Sixer
You'd want to look into the legality pretty close before spending any money on it. I don't think it would be legal. It would be a short barreled rifle. You'd need to change the barrel to a 16+ incher before adding the shoulder stock to make it legal, me thinks.

TDF

k22fan

Blackhawk
TDF said:
You'd want to look into the legality pretty close before spending any money on it. I don't think it would be legal. It would be a short barreled rifle. You'd need to change the barrel to a 16+ incher before adding the shoulder stock to make it legal, me thinks.

TDF

On the other hand, [punn intended] David could get a few years of free medical care for his hand and freel meals to eat while it heals up, plus no more dirty gun cleaning chores and a 100% savings on future ammo expenses!

stantheman86

Buckeye
You can't do it :?

I had thought about having a custom stocked grip made for my Super Redhawk, I looked into the law and a modern revolver falls into the SBR law, I would need to have someone install a 16" barrel on my SRH and THEN add the custom shoulder stock.

Numrich also sells board stocks for 1911's, and they do the whole CYA thing and say you must buy the 16" 1911 barrel and install the barrel first, then the stock, to be legal.

Certain C&R pistols are exempt, like Broomhandle Mausers, rare Lugers, some Hi-Powers, Webleys, Swiss 1882 revolvers, etc. that are made to accept a shoulder stock. They are C&R collectible guns and do not fall under the SBR law.

The other exemptions are the repro cap and ball revolvers like the Colt 1860 and the Dragoons, which can be fitted with those repro shoulder stocks. They are not FFL guns, but considered "non guns" because they do not use fixed ammunition and thus are exempt from the SBR law.

Bottom line, it's a lot of trouble, to have a custom made 16" barrel fitted to the Vaquero just to stock it.

If someone were to "just do it anyway" and the wrong person sees you with the gun at the range, you would be getting a visit from Agent Freindly......

There is likely a way to do it legally, as far as the Feds go, but I'm sure it would be expensive. State laws may make it impossible to do legally. By the way, I can say that a short barreld 1860 Army with a shoulder stock is more fun than "should" be legal. :D

HANDGUNS12-31-07-0003.jpg

EDK

Single-Sixer
It's expensive...possible problems with the ATF people...and some physical hazards for the shooter to boot. The accepted procedure with a shoulder stocked revolver...or one of the cap and ball revolving rifles or the various cartridge remington revolving carbine replicas...is to use the weak hand over the strong hand because of gas leakage at the barrel cylinder gap. In short, almost a weaver grip with a shoulder stock.

We've all seen Lee Van Cleef in FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (way back when!) using a shoulder stock on a 7.5 inch Single Action Army clone. Lots of style points, but..... I've wanted a LEGAL 1896 Mauser with shoulder stock for about 50 years, but never run across one I could afford. One of the neighbors back in the late 50s had a probably illegal souvenir broomhandle with stock/holster. like a lot of World War II combat veterans. One of the bad guys in JOE KIDD had a broomhandle that Clint used to shoot up the opposition.

Short answer...No. Get a legal 16 incher or acquire a MARLIN lever gun with a 16.5 inch barrel...had one of them and gave it to my stepson, who promptly traded it off...but that's just one of his numerous screw-ups. He don't do no better with women either!

AND you'll probably be healed up by the time the gunsmithing was completed! I figure six months to a year on most projects.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
stantheman86 said:
You can't do it :?

The other exemptions are the repro cap and ball revolvers like the Colt 1860 and the Dragoons, which can be fitted with those repro shoulder stocks. They are not FFL guns, but considered "non guns" because they do not use fixed ammunition and thus are exempt from the SBR law.

This exemption is void if you own a center fire replacement cylinder. You will be spending the next 20 - 25 years as a guest of the Federal Government.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I assume it's the initials for some part of the process of documenting class III devices, but what does "SBR" stand for?

zullo74

Bearcat
SBR=Short Barreled Rifle

It costs $200 and a bunch of ATF paper work to build an SBR.

stantheman86

Buckeye
It's just another Draconian ATF law.

You can get handgun semi-auto versions of submachine guns like Uzis', MAC 10's, Skorpions......as long as they have no stock, and you buy them as handguns, it's perfectly fine. If the same exact guns have a $2 wire stock mounted to them, it becomes an SBR.

I have a Masterpiece Arms MAC10 pistol, I always thought it would be cool to have the wire stock but I can't do it.

You can go to any gun show and buy those Romanian AK-pistols all day long, as handguns, but you mount a stock on it and it's a felony.

cas said:
No SBR in NY.

A good example of my comment about such things being illegal according to state regs.

Someone was making a revolving rifle along the lines of the original Colt. All nice and legal, but it did have a barrel length longe enough to make it legal. If you want something along this lines, just get one of these. No muss, no fuss.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
That would make it a class II weapon ,like s shotgun witha bbl shorter than 18" and I think the gun it's self would have to been manfactured before 1986 since you would be converting the gun to a class 2 comfigureation .Even if it's leagal to do it ,,you still have to pay a $200.00 tax and regester the gun with the A.T.F.E. because it would be consedered a S.B.R. .It's leagal for civies to own brand new S.B.R.'s like the DSR -58 P.D.W. or short bbl shotguns you just gotta jump through the goverments hoops to get them .
Lou

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Will,
What you need is a revolver rest. It resembles a shoulder stock but it's just a piece of 3/4" plywood cut in the shape of a pistol buttstock with same shape on the gun end. All sharp edges sanded round and sealed or lacquered. The pistol butt just 'sits' on the bottom ledge and is pulled into the shoulder tightly to hold the revolver in place. I've used one and it's not that it works but how well it works.

It has no permanent attachment to the revolver and therefore no legal issues according to the seller at the last gunshow. It might take 1/2 hr to cut one out with a jigsaw. But you live in NY......

You could check it out with authorities and you have almost nothing invested. Or just use a crotch stick to rest your gun on; rifle or revolver.

It will serve your purpose