Ruger cast or forged?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
A couple days ago a feller told me that Ruger cast their cylinders for their revolvers but i am not convinced they do. I know they have cast frames but cylinders?

I am sure i am gonna get a quick and fast answer to this one; you guys know your stuff!
(we were talking about my blued Bisley, if you wanna know for context)

thanks fellas!

5of7

Hunter
I thought that they were made from bar stock, but I have no sure knowledge on that.

I did read an article published by Carpenter regarding 454 cylinders, in which they said that those were cut from bar stock.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Yes, Ruger makes revolver cylinders from bar stock. I've seen the process many a time on the factory floor.

It's really a pretty simple question: Could you make cylinders by casting?
Sure, but why would you want to?
Much less expensive to buy stock, cut to length, and put 'em in the Bostomatic.

Pete

CraigC

Hawkeye
Agreed, they've always been cut from barstock. Even Heritage cuts their Rough Rider cylinders from barstock.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Just for a side note, Ruger casts the barrels for the SR9.

I asked the same question a few years back, the barrels and cylinders are cut from bar stock and the frames are cast. Made me feel a lot better, and then I went ahead and added about 20 more Sixes and GP's to my collection :D

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Bar stock is not forged in the sense most of us think of, however. Bar stock may be rolled, but that's different than hot drop forging process.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger's Old Army utilized Investment Cast Cylinders. I refer the reader to Ruger and His Guns, p. 126.

Testing of the cast cylinders included a "full load" of BULLSEYE Smokeless, very fast burning powder! :shock:

flatgate

301689907.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
stantheman86 said:
Just for a side note, Ruger casts the barrels for the SR9.

I think Ruger has always cast all of their centerfire auto pistol barrels.
On a sidenote, I don't know why such a stigma about cast parts versus forged parts. Depending on the application a cast part is just as strong and possibly even has better traits than a forging. But when most people think of cast, they associate it with any brittle part made out of cast iron (i.e. brake drums etc). The key is in the types of alloys used in either casting application.
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
JNewell said:
Bar stock is not forged in the sense most of us think of, however. Bar stock may be rolled, but that's different than hot drop forging process.

-not to flame at all; but "rolled" bar is a forging per ASME and SAE, etc. Forging under high-pressure rollers aligns the molecular grain in any number of prescribed directions, adding tensile and tactile ductility (resistance to tearing) from the as-forged billet configurations. Note that "bar stock" begins as an extruded slab of cast (Alpha-temp) poured) metal and gets rolled first into width and thickness for subsequent hammer and roller forging to a billet configuration.

("Billet" is a trendy term in advertising these days, but it really means simply a rough shape, a homogenous chunk of unfinished, non-tempered metal with a non-spec grain alignment. A raw configuration prior to purpose-forging or re-melt).

It is the billet which then gets spec'd out for further roll-forging to a usable size/shape for a customer-deliverable size & length.

That's a cook's explanation of course! I'm no expert, but I've played one for a few decades with a BSME (Materials Engineering) on the wall.

-- I recall not-so-long ago someone here had a cylinder with a large radial crack open to the OD surface. Clearly a forging defect caused by cold-working during the roll-forging process, rare but easily detected (IF Ruger employed common economical NDT methods adequately). Different thread...

8) :wink:

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Great info from Mojavesam -- I defer to you on all things technical--you obviously know your stuff!

In my 31 years of experience with Ruger firearms I have never suffered a parts failure or for that matter any kind of failure. Ruger engineers its guns the way the Russians do -- they tend to overengineer the ruggedness without getting overly fancy. The Mini 14 IMO is a great example of this. Having said that, I think Ruger makes some of the best looking firearms. Looks and the rep for ruggedness is what made me go with the GP100 SS for example.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Whatever method they use, they're tough and reliable which is all that matters.

I have been a S&W fan for years but only in the last 2 years have I learned that the Six and GP100 are a vastly superior design.

The S&W may have the slight edge at the target range, but Ruger cornered the market for reliable and durable duty guns in the early 70's.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Many, many years ago I had a part time job working for an engineering firm that did stress tests on guns. Cast and forged guns held up the same unless the gun was of low quality. I have seen a Super Blackhawk survive a triple load.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Rugers barrels are not cast and never have been, they are hammer forged or cut from bar stock which is forged. Some of their rifle barrels were outsourced several years ago and that process I am unsure of, however its very difficult to cast a barrel anyway. Bar stock is the way to go.