What are the differences? Security Six/Service Six/Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
As I'm starting to learn more about the Ruger Double Actions, I noticed on the Ruger website that The Security, Service and Speed Six revolvers used the same serial number list and were built the same time.

I have to ask....what are the differences between the three models?

Thanks!

Some very general info:
Security-Six has adjustable sights, square butt frame.
Service-Six has fixed sights, square butt frame.
Speed-Six has fixed sights, slightly rounded butt frame.

I believe all of them were available in either blue or stainless, variety of barrel lengths, etc.

That should get you started. I'm sure one of the experts will fill in the gaps in my info.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Uncle Howie answered yer question well !

I personally wish Ruger would go RETRO and make these guns again.

Lighter weight, yet well built guns!

hittman

Staff member
Then there's low back grip frame and high.

Security Six available most commonly in 2.75", 4" or 6". Uncommonly in 3" and 5". Early ones had fixed sights.

Service and Speed Six's most common in 2.75" or 4" but never in 6" ( well ..... never is a LONG time but I've never seen one ).

Made in .38 Special, .380 Rim, .357 Magnum or 9MM.

And of course there are a dozen or so other minor variation if you wanna get picky.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
hittman said:
And of course there are a dozen or so other minor variation if you wanna get picky.

Don't tell me that!
Now my collection seems insufficient.

Dave

003.jpg

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
oldiron1 said:
As I'm starting to learn more about the Ruger Double Actions, I noticed on the Ruger website that The Security, Service and Speed Six revolvers used the same serial number list and were built the same time.

I have to ask....what are the differences between the three models?

Thanks!
Hi oldiron1. The other members have explained the differences well. I am going to give you a link that goes into more detail. Here it is.
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double-action-revolvers/usa/ruger-security-six-e.html
I have a Police Service Six. This is the fixed sight version. In my humble opinion the Security Six Series were the best double action revolvers Ruger ever made. Here is a picture of mine. You won't regret owning one.
Howard

Police Service Six
RugerServiceSix-1.jpg

thegiantmidget

Bearcat
As has been mentioned :

Service : Fixed sights, square butt
Security : Adjustable sights, square butt
Speed : Fixed, round butt

Other than that, the Speed seems to command a higher price tag. There are quite a few odd-ball examples that keep collectors pretty busy, but any of these revolvers will make great shooters. You really can't go wrong. I have one Service 4", and two Speeds - one 2.75" .357 and one 2.75" 9MM. Fantastic guns.

stevezio

Bearcat
I have recently bought 2 service six's and 1 security six. I don't have a speed six yet but have been looking for the past 2 months and have noticed that the speed six's go for more,for basically, the same gun as the others.
What is the appeal of the speed vs the other 2 types to command a higher price?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Then there are the employee-only runs that include a lanyard ring and "half-moon" front sights...

The DA-only versions with no hammer spur.

The fixed-sight Security Six guns.

The heavy barrels and the tapers.

Pre-warning guns...

?

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Thanks much guys!!

I noticed just poking around Gun Broker that the Speed Six really does command a premium price tag. There is something though about the round but that does look sharp about them in my opinion.

I appreciate the education!

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
I suppose that if someone really wanted a Speed Six type butt they
could get a old beater square butt frame gun an apply a little file work
to make it into one.

I just bought an OD color spray painted early model Security Six
.357 mag. off of Gunbroker. Paid $ 250 for it. The seller assured me
on the phone that I could return it if it did not live up to his claims about it.
I have not rec'd the gun yet and I hope that after I heat-gun the old paint off
that it is not all pitted under the ancient amature paint job. The grips look good.

I bought it to use as a powerful and reliable trail/backup/beater gun.

Bobberfishin

Single-Sixer
Hey Doc ,
I saw that Security Six for a couple of days & was thinking the same thing as you. Perfect for a field gun/trail beater.
Also had thoughts of getting it "Bead Blasted" which I think would remove all of that spray & leave a flat grayish finish.

Love my sixes, got 3 & was shooting them on Saturday

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
hittman said:
Security Six available most commonly in 2.75", 4" or 6". Uncommonly in 3" and 5". Early ones had fixed sights.

Service and Speed Six's most common in 2.75" or 4" but never in 6" ( well ..... never is a LONG time but I've never seen one ).

I don't believe the Security Six was ever made in 5". The only 5" guns I'm aware of are the RCMP Police Service Sixes.

Also, I have never seen a 3" Security Six but that doesn't mean there are none. However, the 3" tube appears with some regularity on the later Speed and Service Sixes. I think the reason the 3" is rare-to-non-existent on the Security Six is because it did come out so late in production - the Security Six was the first model dropped from production in favor of the then-new GP100 but the Service and Speed Sixes remained in production for a couple of years until Ruger got the capacity to produce fixed sight GP100 guns. So the 3" barrel appeared when Ruger already knew the Secutiy Six was being replaced, so I don't think they ever made the 3" for the Security Six (which would require a new barrel design due to the sight ramp).

There are rumors to some early frame (low back 150 prefix) fixed sight guns made with 6" barrels for export (what later became the Police Service Six was first sold as simply a fixed sight Security Six) Those early fixed sight Security Sixes appear on the earliest dealer price sheets in both .38 Special and .357 Mag as models SDA86 and SDA36 but examples are unknown and may never have been produced. By the way, the very earliest Security Sixes were adjustable sight but were simultaneously offered in fixed sight. The 2 digit guns that I have seen are all fixed sight and the earliest 3 digit that I am aware of is an SDA82 with a 3 digit SN. The first 2000 (or so) guns also had cast barrels versus later forged barrels.

The Police Service Six is most common in 4" and the Speed Six is most common in 2.75". In the Security Six, I used to believe that the 2.75" was the scarcest but I now believe the 6" is at least as uncommon as the 2.75". By far, the most common length for a Security Six is the 4".

Collecting these early DA's offers up nearly as many (maybe more) possibilities as collecting old model Single Sixes as far as variations go. There were 12.25 million guns made over about an 18 year period, 3 basic models, multiple barrel lengths, several calibers, blue or stainless, pre-warning & post-warning, different grips, different sights, standard or heavy barrel, different triggers, different hammers, contract guns for police and government agencies with unique features such as lanyard rings and/or markings such as "U.S." and atypical model markings such as GS32N, SS84L, SS32L, foreign contract guns such as the oddball .380 Rimmed caliber, 4 different types of period packaging plus the late-ship oddballs in plastic cases or cardboard boxes with barcode labels, non-standard finishes, etc. Plus a whole myriad of aftermarket commemorative guns, some of which had at least a little factory buy-in.

So far there seems to only be a handful of collectors seriously following these guns but they are getting more and more interest all the time. Values for NIB examples have gone up quite a lot in the past decade but are still reasonable compared to collecting the guns that are more widely followed.

These DA's offer up a great opportunity for new collectors to get into Ruger collecting without breaking the bank and likely offer a higher potential for appreciation than the OM SA Rugers which have been sought after for the past 30+ years and have actually seen some recent depreciation. New "variations" are constantly being discovered as more and more folks take notice and start paying attention to the subtle differences.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant... :oops: :lol:

chet15

Hawkeye
I'm a little late on this post oldiron, but don't forget the roundbutt Security-Six! Even though it does have a round butt, it is still called a Security-Six. Evidently a few gov't or police agencies wanted a round-butt security so a few (very few!) were made.
and since I'm kind of having a little fun with this, there are also some round butt Service-Sixes (turned into Speed Sixes during late 'SIX series production in order to use up their old Service-Six stock.....just round off the lower corners of the grip frame at front and rear and you've got a Speed-Six! There are a few of these known and they are marked Service-Six (but will be boxed as "SPEED-SIX" and will letter as "SPEED-SIX").
Confused yet??? :D
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
chet15 said:
I'm a little late on this post oldiron, but don't forget the roundbutt Security-Six! Even though it does have a round butt, it is still called a Security-Six. Evidently a few gov't or police agencies wanted a round-butt security so a few (very few!) were made.
and since I'm kind of having a little fun with this, there are also some round butt Service-Sixes (turned into Speed Sixes during late 'SIX series production in order to use up their old Service-Six stock.....just round off the lower corners of the grip frame at front and rear and you've got a Speed-Six! There are a few of these known and they are marked Service-Six (but will be boxed as "SPEED-SIX" and will letter as "SPEED-SIX").

And since a picture's worth 1000 words...

Factory round-butt Security Six:
GA32RB-151-56039-Left.jpg

Factory conversion of Service Six to Speed Six:
GS32_made_from_GF32_B.jpg

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Chet & weaselmeatgravy,

Thanks a TON for the history lesson and the pictures. Yes Chet, I'm a little confused and facinated all at the same time!!

I'm going to read and re-read this thread again, but I feel like I have a whole lot better idea as to what I'm looking for and looking at going forward.