44 mag loads w/Unique powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinkerer

Bearcat
Wanting to load 44 Remington magnum, 240gr cast lead SWC using Unique powder.

Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk revolvers.

Alliant powder lists the max charge @7gr. / 899fps

Lee Modern Reloading lists the charge between 10.7 and 11.8 / 1152-1255fps

1.600" / 1.605" oal

I understand the velocity difference.

Why the charge weight difference?

Is the Lee load safe for the firearms listed?

Thanks

Tinkerer

edfardos

Single-Sixer
Discrepancy of over 30%, that might be a new record. The most I see is about 25% discrepancies between bullet and powder manufacturers. Makes you put a lot of faith in the reloading data eh? Once thing to notice is that the speeds also vary directly by 30% as well, which means their muzzle velocity instrumentation probably works, but their pressure sensor vessels are wildly inaccurate (or they use various values of "safe").

Normally people say start with the low one and work up and watch for signs of pressure at the primer. Which is good advice, unless you use a soft primer (like Federal), in which case, every load shows signs of pressure, and you're back to the guessing game.

I'm a scientist/engineer, so these things bug the wholy heck out of me, especially when safety is concerned. I spend hours searching for anecdotal evidence of the power/bullet combos I use, and cross reference them. I typically come up with an average, and call that safe. You'll also find sites which don't allow recipies to be listed, in the name of safety (yah, I suppose they could be typo's, which is why it's so important to cross-reference and compare to references and anecdotal values).

In any event, I'm pondering a 44mag purchase myself, so please keep us updated on what consumables and combinations you use!

best,
-edfardos

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
yes Lee load is safe. 10 grains of unique chronos right at 1000 fps with a 240 lead out of my 4 5/8 vaquero.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you do some more looking at the Alliant site you will see they have a
240gr Gold Dot JHP with 10.3gr of Unique for 1,175 fps and a
250gr Keith SWC with 11.0gr of Unique for 1,211fps.

That 7.0gr load must be like a cowboy load.

A good target load might be 8.5gr with commercial cast SWC bullets.

The beauty of Unique in the 44mag is that it can work well from 7.0gr - 12.0gr
The hardness of the bullets have a lot to do with how hard you can drive them. :D

...Jimbo

BearStopper

Blackhawk
The heavier load you list is the most accurate load I have tested to date in both my OM Super BH and my 5.5" Redhawk.

G2

Hunter
Ohhhh a little off topic here but thought you might be interested.

10gr. Unique has been the load I have used.

Recently had a friend load up some Power Pistol 10gr loads to try, , , Well I have allways liked Unique but I think I'm going to make the change.

Very, Very similar, And it burns so much cleaner. Power Pistol seems to be a great choice for middle range loads.

steve b

Single-Sixer
Yeah, the Power Pistol thing keeps coming up. Cleaner, and maybe a little better loading density. Just maybe. steve b

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
I use 10.5 grs with a 255gr and it's accurate in my Redhawk and Blackhawk. No problems in my two pistols.

maxpress

Buckeye
I really think what your seeing is the "oh my gosh dont load over 900fps with speer lead or your barrel will be a smoothbore with all the leading" attitude that speer gives out in all its manuals.
I have never used speer cold swagged LSW but have used similar bullets and have never had issue at mid velocity. I have used the 10gr unique load and it was fine though I generally shoot these with the 8gr load for the range.

Onty

Single-Sixer
My reloading experience is moderate, but when I am looking for load using cast bullet, first on my list are loading data provided by mould manufacturer. They test THEIR bullets and data they get are IMHO, the most accurate.

If powder manufacturer list just a weight of cast bullet without any other info, not good enough for me. Same applies for jacketed ones without listing manufacturer and type of bullet.

Also, I am VERY reluctant to use data for low pressure cartridges when there is no pressure listed. And I NEVER use high pressure data where the only conclusion that load is OK because ˝cases just falling out from cylinder˝. Those data could be outright dangerous. I remembered very well article written by Ross Seyfried about hot loads in 5-bore 45 LC revolver and how cases were falling out without using ejector rod. After testing in the lab, he was quite surprised when received info that pressure was in "Weatherby range"...

Cholo

Staff member
Keep in mind that 9 grs or less of Unique and a 240+- SWC might shoot high at 25 yds. It does in my 2 SBH's but not in my OM Flattop, all 7 1/2". I brought it right down with 10 grs.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
Keep in mind that 9 grs or less of Unique and a 240+- SWC might shoot high at 25 yds. It does in my 2 SBH's but not in my OM Flattop, all 7 1/2". I brought it right down with 10 grs.

I concur. In my 4 5/8 SBH with 7.5-8 grains and a 250 SWC it shoots quite high even at 15 yds. 10 grains pulls them in.

captainkirk

tinkerer

Bearcat
Thank you to all who responded.

Posed the same question to Lee Reloading and Alliant Powder.

LEE responded that their load data is supplied directly from the powder manufacturer. Best data according to the reply.

Have not had a reply from Alliant Powder as of this date.

You all have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful holiday season.

Tinkerer