Morning Visitor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Been seeing a lot of bears this Spring, but haven't been able to get a decent pic until today. This one was at a bird feeder about four feet from a large picture window. I stepped out the door with my camera. It took one look at me and started galloping towards the woods. I whistled and he stopped to pose for this picture.

He was small, probably 125 lbs or so. Saw a much larger one a few days earlier.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
We have two Fall hunting seasons for bear. One in early September, then one in November that overlaps deer season for a week. I haven't hunted bear for 30 yrs so not exactly sure of the dates. Baiting is not allowed, but you can run hounds, however you can not hire out your hounds. About 30 yrs ago there was an estimated 3000 bears in Vermont, now they estimate over 6000. Hunters took a record 750 bears last year.

North east in General Vt. Nh. Me. all have a decent population of Black Bear!
In most of these states Baiting and dogs are allowed if you follow the rules.
Bear Hunting never interested me, I like whitetail and Rabbit hunting with beagles
in the winter. ps

daveg.inkc said:
What kind of hunting season do you have in Vermont? Missouri is considering a hunting season in 2021. Already a lot of resistance.

Don't worry. Once those resisting start having unplanned personal encounters with bears their tune will change. We had a lot of resistance to deer hunting in the more populated areas of North Carolina until their yard plantings started to disappear.