A few pics from ROCS at OGCA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sixshot, I'm not Tyrone but I think I can adequately answer your question.

There are numerous "Grails" being pursued in the Ruger collecting circles. It really depends on what a person is interested in. ROCS has people who collect (or accumulate) each variety of what Ruger made/makes. There are collectors of the #1 and #3 rifles, Red and Gold Label shotguns, the .22 pistol, the 10/22 rifle, the Mini-14, GP-100's, M-77's, etc. and of course the Single Actions, be they centerfire or rimfire.

Personally, I collect the Six series double actions (Security Six, Police Service Six and the Speed Six) so my "Grail" gun would be different from other collectors "Grail" guns. That said, I do listen and ask questions of other ROCS members in case I happen to spot a Ruger at a gun show that appears to me to be "odd". It never hurts to have some knowledge about Rugers outside of your interests.

So, there are as many Ruger "Grail" guns out there as there are Ruger models that were made. And then there are "Grail" tools also for those that collect the tools that Ruger made and sold.

It seems to be a never ending hunt for that one special gun that a collector is yearning for, and for many collectors, the hunt is the fun.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh,, "grail guns!" As Ron has said,, it all depends upon ones desires. Ron's assessment is pretty well spot on.

However,, in general,, there can be certain things that make a gun (or another item) a holy grail to them. Many folks seem to collect the SA guns,, and as such,, those seem to be more often grail guns to many. Any single digit gun,, especially if it was an experimental one,, or a low production model can be quite desirable. The Hawkeye's, the Engraved Single-Sixes, (especially the Spanish engraved ones,) the 357 Max's, single or 2 digit .22 Standard auto, all come to mind. Or, any early gun by Bill given to a famous sixgunner like Elmer Keith can be quite desirable. The 15" Super Blackhawk comes to mind too.
Or,, to get a gun with the actual box & shipper is potential grail item,, such as the wooden salt cod box for the Standard Auto. The boxes & shippers can be harder to find than guns in general. The early FT 357's & 44's boxes are rare,, but to get a shipper is even harder.

So,, we can see that there are many potential grail guns & such that keeps us looking, studying,, and hoping to stumble upon that rare & elusive item that nobody else has,, or even if there are only a few,, to become one of the few who has an item.

A good example is how recently a member found the casting for the "Problem Fox" figurines. It's a one of a kind even among the rare & hard to find figurines. BUT,,,, there is still the large version of the Fox that is "out there" to be found.

And,, as a person searches for an item,, upon acquiring it,, they began a new search for their next grail item. I know I fell in love with shooting a Hawkeye when I was 17 yrs old. I always wanted one,, and they always eluded me. For 35 years,, it was my grail gun. I now own 2 of them. So now,, I'm hoping to find a few others that would fill holes in my collection.

sixshot

Buckeye
OK, thanks! I know that at one time Ruger made a short run of M77's in 7X57's with a 24" barrel, I bought one & it was a great shooter. Like most young guys I let it slip away in a trade. Several years later I ran into a guy here in Soda Springs who had bought it & said he never cared for the longer barrel so he had cut it to a more hand 20", yikes! Not sure how many were made.

Dick

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Sooo, what's the scoop on those revolvers shown along side the ashtrays? A stretched frame and an odd Bisley?

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
A new ROCS member from Indiana brought his customized Rugers. Even his Ruger rifles had been customized from center fire to rim fire! He liked to show all of us what could be made from any configuration of a standard Ruger firearm. His was a very interesting display. Brass Frame/Lee E

contender

Ruger Guru
As BF has mentioned,, the customized Rugers shown were ALL modified to his liking & desires. Many had some very unusual changes,, not often taken by too many folks. Very interesting.
The stretched framed gun would chamber 45 Colt AND .410 shotshells. The Hawkeye was in .22 RF.