The Domain of the South

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Wife and I took advantage of a beautiful day to go for a hike at The Domain of the South - a 13000 acre area owned by the Episcopal Church and encompassing Sewanee -the University of the South. Very tradition rich - like stepping back in time- the guys wear jackets and ties to class, unless they are honor students, then they wear gowns (gownsmen), all students must sign an Honor Code, etc..

If you are ever in the Monteagle TN area it is really a must see. (as is eating at the Smokehouse restaurant) :wink:

Giant Cross overlooking the mountain. one of the trailheads on the 20 mile Perimeter trail.
DSC_3272_zpswyh2vcrb.jpg
[/URL]

View from The Cross.
DSC_3275_zpsub83gcj4.jpg

Natural tunnel on the trail
DSC_3284_zpsh8cjyhes.jpg

This is Bridal Veil Falls. About a mile hike down the mountain in a beautiful cove of old growth forest. Bursts out of a cave, falls about 30 feet, then drops another 75 feet into a sinkhole and disappears.
DSC_3294_zps4nexdvvf.jpg
[/URL]
The sinkhole
DSC_3295_zpsibzbu9nh.jpg
[
Lots of these type waterfalls..
DSC_3281_zpspyceidum.jpg

DSC_3308_zpsjcrx79zg.jpg

Beautiful architecture - all native stone
DSC_3316_zpskcfbaaxv.jpg

DSC_3317_zps0udzdiep.jpg

View from Greens Point - trailhead entrance to Shakerag Hollow - another old growth forest (I'm a tree guy)
DSC_3321_zpshuipjtrd.jpg
[/URL]

Jim Puke

Hunter
Sewanee recruited my son to play football there back in 2012. He declined their offer, but it is very neat place. If you happen to be close by, it is worth your time to pay it a visit.