SR1911- Not sure what took me so long

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I went out and bought a new SR1911 today, the newish target model. I'm not sure what took me so long to buy an SR1911. Ever since I found out about them, I thought Ruger had hit one out of the park.

The store had a regular one in the 5 inch model, and it looked fine. The trigger had a lot of creep, though, and did not break very crisply. The trigger on the target model was much better. I also actually was looking for a 1911 with target sights.

I field stripped it, cleaned and lubed it, and went to the range with a box of American Eagle 230 fmj ammo. All 50 cycled without a hitch. If I did my job, my shots went right where I pointed the sights.

Although I overpaid a bit by buying at a local store instead of ordering from an online seller, but at least I got instant gratification.

So far, I'm very happy. The gun has excellent fit and finish and looks really nice.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
I, at one time had 6 of them, I bought shortly after Obama got elected. The one I carry
has a nice trigger and has not hiccuped once since I have been firing it. I gave one to my
son in law, one to my grandson to carry on the job and gave one (A CMD), to a friend of mine
who is on the job in Houston, Texas. I have three left, and one is a CMD. But I prefer to
carry the 5 inch model. I am 83 and can get away with loose over sized outside the waist
band shirts. Who would suspect an old fart like me to be carrying a honking big 1911?

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I'm kinda puzzled as to why the target model was generally met with yawns and even some derision. Although it costs a little more than the standard model, it's still very competitively priced, and seems to be very well made

ditto1958 said:
I'm kinda puzzled as to why the target model was generally met with yawns and even some derision. Although it costs a little more than the standard model, it's still very competitively priced, and seems to be very well made

I fully agree with you. I've owned a small stable of many of the SR1911 variants, and they have all been very decent guns. I've paid much more for other brands of 1911's, but I've never owned any 1911 that was any better than the Ruger version.

WAYNO.

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Just bought a used SR1911 Gov size .45, but haven't taken it to range yet. Had been looking and looking and could not find any under $900. Finally found one with around 200 rounds history and the owner sold it to me for under $800. Here in CA that's a decent find because it is off roster and guys are paying too much and asking too much when they get tired of it and sell. I mean beyond new prices for used off roster is typical, but that's the market here. As long as this one shoots straight, it's a keeper for me. What a beauty.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Lonestone1 said:
Just bought a used SR1911 Gov size .45, but haven't taken it to range yet. Had been looking and looking and could not find any under $900. Finally found one with around 200 rounds history and the owner sold it to me for under $800. Here in CA that's a decent find because it is off roster and guys are paying too much and asking too much when they get tired of it and sell. I mean beyond new prices for used off roster is typical, but that's the market here. As long as this one shoots straight, it's a keeper for me. What a beauty.

Glad to hear you were able to get one. The laws in your state are ludicrous. While you can probably find used ones here for around $600, the law of supply and demand probably makes what you paid a darn good deal.

dickn52

Bearcat
Paid a whopping $450.00 for mine. 250 rds through it maybe. The seller said it was too much for his 86 year old hand to hold.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
I've got a standard 5" SR1911. I've put about 5K rounds down the tube so far since purchasing it about 2 years ago. This model came with fixed Novac sights but I changed the front sight to fiber optic about a year ago. The front sight now really "pops" and has very fast target acquisition. Very pleased with the SR1911, as it eats anything it's fed and asks no questions. In addition to 230 grain RN, I've put 185 and 200 grain SWCs down the tube with absolutely no problems. I shoot handloads exclusively....

bayou5252

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Finally got to the range with my SR1911 Gov in .45 and it shoots like a dream, quite accurate. Very happy with it. Wouldn't mind one in 9 mm, too. I've read where a few have found the sights to be off a bit and they weren't happy with the SR1911. Anyone out there experienced this?

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Lonestone1 said:
Finally got to the range with my SR1911 Gov in .45 and it shoots like a dream, quite accurate. Very happy with it. Wouldn't mind one in 9 mm, too. I've read where a few have found the sights to be off a bit and they weren't happy with the SR1911. Anyone out there experienced this?

Mine is the Target Model, so it came with an adjustable, Bomar style, rear sight. My sights came from the factory adjusted for shooting to point of aim at 25 yards with 230 grain ball ammo.

MP3Mogul

Bearcat
I love my SR1911 and I have the CMD model as well. They are made as well if not better than many higher end 1911s that I have. The Rugers are my favorite.