SR1911 Extractor & Other Issues, Help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pctech

Bearcat
Hi Guys,

My SR1911 has started to have some malfunctions recently that I am still trying to fully diagnose. The gun has several hundred rounds through it, mostly trouble free. Let me explain what it is doing and perhaps get some opinions on what may be the cause.

First, the gun has started failing to feed frequently, usually at least once or twice per magazine. This happens in several different ways, but the most common malfunction is where the nose of the round trying to chamber gets stuck pointing up towards the top or side of the chamber and the rim of the case under the extractor. The other malfunction is when the gun basically double feeds, a new round goes partially into the chamber but the extractor doesn't catch it at all and another round tries to feed below it but gets stopped by the slide. I have also noticed that it is next to impossible to hand cycle ammunition through this gun. Every few rounds one will get stuck partially behind the extractor and pointing to the side or top of the chamber, making the gun very difficult to clear.

I suspect that these issues are being caused by my extractor. Is it possible for an extractor to lose tension over time? The gun is only about a year old. To me, there seems to be an excessive amount of space between the lip of the extractor and the breech face. (2-3x the amount of space needed to hold the rim of a 45 cartridge close to the breech face.) I field stripped the gun and with the slide in my hand, slid a round under the extractor and shook the slide around. The extractor did not hold the round in place. I did this same test with my Kimber 1911 which I have had for years and the round was held nice and snug against the breech face by its extractor.

The other problem I am having is that the gun fails to return to battery (fully) quite often. Usually when this happens the slide is about ¼ of an inch away from being in full battery. Usually I can nudge the slide with the palm of my hand and it will go into full battery. Occasionally though it just won't chamber a round and I have to extract it manually.

Are both of these problems likely related to a bad or improperly tuned extractor? I have tried multiple types of ammunition as well as different brands of magazines with the same results. The problems occur just as frequently when the gun is clean as when it is dirty.

Thanks for any input on these problems!

James

revhigh

Hawkeye
It seems like you have a multitude of issues.

Send it back.

REV

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Double-feeds were a serious problem for me initially (two years and 10K rounds ago). The problem was solved by switching to Wilson 47D magazines and selling the issued Ruger/Check-Mate magazines.

Check-Mate makes very good magazines in several different configurations. But I am not fond of the hybrid lip design Ruger opted to go with. They may work for others but not for me. Borrow some different 1911 magazines from friends and see if your double-feeds go away.

I can't address your other issues.

pctech

Bearcat
Thanks for the suggestions guys...

dlidster: I tried several brands of magazines, but did not have access to a Wilson 47D. Will ask some friends to see if they have one I could try out of curiosity.

Rev & Hawkeye: I figured I would have to send the gun back to Ruger for repair and will probably give them a call when I get some free time. This gun is actually a replacement that Ruger sent me to replace my original SR1911 that had casting voids in the frame from manufacturing. I haven't had time to shoot it as much as I did my first one. Hopefully Ruger can get it straightened out for me. I think most (if not all) of the problems are related to a bad extractor.

If anyone else has suggestions or other ideas, please don't hesitate to post!

Thanks,
James

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ruger will take care of you.

Make sure you ask for a prepaid label.

REV

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I think the rev has the best solution, have Ruger look at it.

I do have some questions:
When was the last time you did a full detail strip?
What oil are you using? (grease does strange things to a 1911)
Where does your empty brass end up? (speaks to ejection efficiency)
Do you use a two hand grip? (Todd Jarret explains it well)

pctech

Bearcat
Pat-inCO, to answer your questions:

1. The gun has never been detail stripped but I have field stripped it regularly for cleaning. Once the problems with the gun started occurring I did detail strip the slide and remove the firing pin and extractor and cleaned them as well as the channels for both.

2. I use BreakFreeCLP as well as Lucas Gun Oil. No grease. These are the same oils I use on all of my other handguns including my older Kimber 1911.

3. Case ejection/extraction has become somewhat erratic with my SR1911 and seems much weaker than my Kimber. The cases usually end up several feet from where I'm shooting.

4. Yes, I do use a two handed grip, the exact same one Todd Jarret describes in that video.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your input.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I love Rugers but dang 2nd pistol and still issues. Same story with latest p345 and beretta 92fs. I brought this up in another thread. Customer service is not quality control.

eveled

Hawkeye
modrifle3 said:
Customer service is not quality control.

You are right. They are using the consumer as quality control. It is not right, but it is also how they control costs. These aren't hand made guns.

Actually, quality control deals more with incoming parts, we are being used as
the Final test department.

The percentage of Ruger guns with problems is very small.

Another way to look at it, if Ruger really tested every gun to it's fullest they would essentially have to break it in with at least 100 rounds. Then they would have to add the cost of the ammo to the cost of the gun. This way you get to enjoy shooting the 100 rounds you pay for.. :D

To the OP, send it back they'll make it right. Ed

modrifle3

Buckeye
Don't get me wrong, I love myRugers but I think this huge sales goal is the issue. When they were not trying to sell a million a year QC wasn't an issue. A Springfield xd, glock, beretta, etc are not hand made. However they do not exhibit the same chronic issues as Ruger. My only point isthat huge sales goals should not drive a company the way it does Ruger. I hear countless tales of Sr1911 issues and even mine has a shallower chamber than it should and some factory rounds bottom on the rifling. Rugers response, just shoot a bunch of full metal jacket before shooting hollow points.

loaded round

Hunter
I've had a SR1911 for over a year now, and I too experienced problems originally with the Ruger/Checkmate magazines. At the dealers. the slide could not be released with an empty magazine inserted (both mags) and I also ran into several different types of FTF also. These magazines were to Ruger for replacement and still had the same problems with those. Finally I tried a batch of GI mags that I used with my other 45's and lo and behold my SR1911 ran perfectly. I sold the two Ruger's on Craigs List. I love my Ruger's but their supplied magazines for the SR1911 are POS!

Precision32

Blackhawk
loaded round said:
I've had a SR1911 for over a year now, and I too experienced problems originally with the Ruger/Checkmate magazines. At the dealers. the slide could not be released with an empty magazine inserted (both mags) and I also ran into several different types of FTF also. These magazines were to Ruger for replacement and still had the same problems with those. Finally I tried a batch of GI mags that I used with my other 45's and lo and behold my SR1911 ran perfectly. I sold the two Ruger's on Craigs List. I love my Ruger's but their supplied magazines for the SR1911 are POS!

Run this one by me again please. The slide on a 1911 is made to lock back with an empty mag in place. How is this a problem? That's what the slide stop does when the last round is fired.

Are you telling us that you have a 1911 that the slide will close with an empty mag in place?

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I have a consecutive pair of SR1911 Commanders. Gun to gun, all four mags, that is the case. With the slide locked back, The slide release is inoperative on an empty mag, UNLESS THE MAGAZINE RELEASE IS PUSHED AND THE TENSION IS TAKEN OFF OF THE MAG. Now, as I am advised and read, it is totally inappropriate to allow/drop the slide on an empty mag, thus allowing it to slam the face of the chamber rear. Perhaps this is why the Ruger mags "behave" as I have noted......... :?:

modrifle3

Buckeye
There is an issue there perhaps with the mag body. Make sure the relief cut in the mag is large enough. On the other hand since you have consecutive serial number guns make sure there is nothing out ofspec on the pistols. I shoot checkmates by Ruger and Sig in both my 1911s. No issues with function with fmj or hollow point.

revhigh

Hawkeye
loaded round said:
Has Col Colt ever been advised of this? If so, he has built his 1911 semi-auto all wrong.

LOL ... Yeah I agree.

Real, Colt spec 1911's can release the slide with the slide release WITH OR WITHOUT a loaded or empty mag in the gun. And although I've also 'heard' not to drop the slide on an empty chamber, I've done it countless times with my Colts and Springfields without an issue, as well as using the slide release to release the slide when chambering a round after a refilled mag was put in the gun. That action is certainly no more violent or battering than the gun takes during firing.

Springfields, and any other true 1911 spec guns can do it as well.

Ruger always seems to mess around with the mag functionality on their semi's. I never quite understood why ... It's caused them nothing but problems, and confused the hell out of their owners, as well as their dealers .... Witness the P345 click-no-bang issues.

REV

Rabon

Single-Sixer
pctech said:
Hi Guys,

My SR1911 has started to have some malfunctions recently that I am still trying to fully diagnose. The gun has several hundred rounds through it, mostly trouble free. Let me explain what it is doing and perhaps get some opinions on what may be the cause.

First, the gun has started failing to feed frequently, usually at least once or twice per magazine. This happens in several different ways, but the most common malfunction is where the nose of the round trying to chamber gets stuck pointing up towards the top or side of the chamber and the rim of the case under the extractor. The other malfunction is when the gun basically double feeds, a new round goes partially into the chamber but the extractor doesn't catch it at all and another round tries to feed below it but gets stopped by the slide. I have also noticed that it is next to impossible to hand cycle ammunition through this gun. Every few rounds one will get stuck partially behind the extractor and pointing to the side or top of the chamber, making the gun very difficult to clear.

I suspect that these issues are being caused by my extractor. Is it possible for an extractor to lose tension over time? The gun is only about a year old. To me, there seems to be an excessive amount of space between the lip of the extractor and the breech face. (2-3x the amount of space needed to hold the rim of a 45 cartridge close to the breech face.) I field stripped the gun and with the slide in my hand, slid a round under the extractor and shook the slide around. The extractor did not hold the round in place. I did this same test with my Kimber 1911 which I have had for years and the round was held nice and snug against the breech face by its extractor.

The other problem I am having is that the gun fails to return to battery (fully) quite often. Usually when this happens the slide is about ¼ of an inch away from being in full battery. Usually I can nudge the slide with the palm of my hand and it will go into full battery. Occasionally though it just won't chamber a round and I have to extract it manually.

Are both of these problems likely related to a bad or improperly tuned extractor? I have tried multiple types of ammunition as well as different brands of magazines with the same results. The problems occur just as frequently when the gun is clean as when it is dirty.

Thanks for any input on these problems!

James

Yes, it is very common for an extractor to lose tension in a 1911 and there is a lot of differences in quality from one manufacturer to another.
Remove your slide and slip a cartridge up the boldface into firing position behind the extractor there should be no resistance anywhere as it moves up, when the cartridge is in position behind the extractor it should stay there if not it needs to be tensioned (It's simple enough to tension if need be), while you have the barrel off make sure the
barrel link moves freely. I think you are going to find interference as the cartridge moves up the bolt face it could be a burr brass shavings and last but not least an over tensioned extractor which doesn't make sense as you haven't tinkered with it, but stranger things have happened. :) If all is good at this point move to the recoil spring, is this a 4.25" or a 5"gun ?

Latest posts