Ruger products made in China?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VTXS

Bearcat
I was looking over some items I received for Christmas for my SR1911, mags, mag pouch and new holster. After checking the fit and function of each I was putting the pistol in the soft case and for the first time I noticed the tag inside the soft case.

IMAG0380.jpg

Really disappointed in Ruger. The main reason I like Rugers so much was the fact that they are quality firearms made in America. While I know the pistol itself is made in Prescott, AZ, what is made or included that is not made in America. I was telling this to my son-in-law and he was looking over his SR40 and the magazines for that gun are made in Italy.

VTXS

Bearcat
Skalkaho Slim said:
If it really bothers you that much, you could always throw the chinese stuff away or sell the whole thing.

It does worry me that Ruger is beginning to outsource certain components, such as the case and certain magazines. I'm just not sure why. Usually once that begins, it starts to take a larger life of its own that could involve more components. I guess time will tell. Just my .02, and we all know what that's worth.

toysoldier

Hunter
I find the holster particularly disturbing, as I know that Bagmaster in St. Louis makes good holsters at a good price. I wonder if they're saving even a dollar by going Chinese.

Just like Wal-Mart. After the Old Man dies, nothing matters but bottom line.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The items are supplied by vendors who compete in pricing and delivery. As soon as American companies can deliver 99% on-time with 99% quality, the pricing will be a secondary purchasing consideration.

NormH3

Bearcat
VTXS said:
Skalkaho Slim said:
If it really bothers you that much, you could always throw the chinese stuff away or sell the whole thing.

It does worry me that Ruger is beginning to outsource certain components, such as the case and certain magazines. I'm just not sure why. Usually once that begins, it starts to take a larger life of its own that could involve more components. I guess time will tell. Just my .02, and we all know what that's worth.

Perhaps you should start your own soft pouch manufacturing company here in the US and try to get Ruger's contract. Make a quality product at a fair price and you should be good to go.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
VTXS said:

I hear ya! I would pay a few dollars more for "made in USA" goods...I am pretty sure I am not alone on this one either!

revhigh

Hawkeye
JumpmasterC said:
VTXS said:

I hear ya! I would pay a few dollars more for "made in USA" goods...I am pretty sure I am not alone on this one either!

Everybody always says that .... while they're shopping at Walmart .....

Rev

Tipper

Bearcat
Here is the deal, if they used a case and lock made in USA you would add a $100 to the cost of weapon. I'm happy. Also probably nobody in states could make the quantities required, which would be in the 100k + category, especially with the additional Commander series.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Tipper said:
Here is the deal, if they used a case and lock made in USA you would add a $100 to the cost of weapon.
At which point folks would complain that if they'd just get cheaper locks and cases from China, they could have saved $100.00 because they could care less about the extraneous crap since they don't use it anyway.

Folks are gonna complain no matter what you do.

justbill2013

Bearcat
VTXS said:
I was looking over some items I received for Christmas for my SR1911, mags, mag pouch and new holster. After checking the fit and function of each I was putting the pistol in the soft case and for the first time I noticed the tag inside the soft case.

IMAG0380.jpg

Really disappointed in Ruger. The main reason I like Rugers so much was the fact that they are quality firearms made in America. While I know the pistol itself is made in Prescott, AZ, what is made or included that is not made in America. I was telling this to my son-in-law and he was looking over his SR40 and the magazines for that gun are made in Italy.

Were the magazines, holster or mag pouch stamped as made anywhere but the U.S.? If I remember correctly, doesn't shopruger.com list which items are American-made?

All I can say is be an educated consumer. If foreign production bothers you, as it often does me, then not only don't buy it but send Ruger a polite e-mail voicing your opinion. If we all do this, it will be noticed and changed. The executives at Ruger are pretty sharp.

justbill2013

Bearcat
revhigh said:
JumpmasterC said:
VTXS said:

Everybody always says that .... while they're shopping at Walmart .....

Rev

I, for one, avoid WalMart like the plague for several reasons. (Not the least of which is that I was briefly a manager for them and didn't like how they operated in the mid-1990's.) I do pay extra for American-made goods whenever they are available. As an example, the New Balance 608 sneakers I'm wearing right now were made in either Maine or Massachusetts. Wait a minute...both of them are probably more Commie than the Chinese! :lol:

Richbaker

Blackhawk
VTXS said:
Skalkaho Slim said:

The Italian mags are very high quality, and probably cost Ruger less than making them in-house.