Looking for a good "reasonable" 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I know this section is supposed to be about Ruger's SR1911, but I would just like to know which reasonably-priced 1911's are decent guns? I'm looking for something either stainless or parkerized, and either with Novak sights or the ability to install them. Thanks!

Three50seven

Buckeye
That's if you can find one....and the two that I have seen were in the $800 range. I understand that that is reasonable compared to some Colts, Kimbers and custom guns, but I'm looking for something I can shoot a lot and not feel bad or throw in the truck if I want.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Precision32 said:
RIA is not a bad 1911. For the price they are a good deal IMHO.

I have to agree. I purchased a RIA Tactical last fall and it will go
one on one with my SR1911 or my Colt, accuracy wise. It won't match them on finish, but will on accuracy and reliability.
Jim

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Three50seven said:
That's if you can find one....and the two that I have seen were in the $800 range.
Try a look-see at the Desert Eagle 1911G. I got one for $650 and it is durned good. Accurate, smooth action, accurate, good trigger, accurate, comparatively inexpensive, and did I mention accurate?

Best value in a 1911 I have seen in many years. 8)

OBTW, do NOT let anyone bad-mouth the bill-board in the side. Unless you spend more time looking at the side of the slide than shooting it, you will not care. :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
I would strongly suggest handling all you can. Little extras like beavertail grip safeties and extended thumb safeties may not seem like a big deal until you actually shoot one.

DGW1949

Hunter
FWIW.....Novak will install their sights on any 1911 type gun. About all ya gotta go is send them the slide and wait about 6 weeks. Well, that and pay for the work...which will add enough to the price of a cheep gun to make it not so cheep.

Personaly, if I was wanting a 1911-type autoloader to toss in the truck, I'd look no further than RIA's base model. It may not be perfect for everyone, or for all uses, but it will do about everything that most people need a service pistol to do.

Just my 02.
That and a dollar will buy ya a cup of coffee.

DGW

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Looking for a 1911 that didn't cast an arm and leg i bought a RIA Tactical a few years ago. Plain grips and Parkerized finish but the fit was very good and the gun very tight.
They're not as cheap in my area as some prices I hear quoted but well worth the money..

522.jpg

I hear armscor manufactures some nice 1911s, (see rock island and, ?Citadel) STI has an entry level series of 1911s as well. Metro Arms manufactures 1911s, I've heard mixed reviews on quality with them though. A bare bones Remington R1 is a decent price point.

I ALMOST purchased a Remington R1 Stainless. But i had my heart set on the Ruger. AND thats what i finally got. It makes good company for my Springfield Loaded Stainless.

That RIA tactical is exactly what I had the mind to recommend.

CraigC

Hawkeye
So far I've been very impressed with my RIA Tactical. Even the railed model with night sights was only $550.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Three50seven said:
That's if you can find one....and the two that I have seen were in the $800 range. I understand that that is reasonable compared to some Colts, Kimbers and custom guns, but I'm looking for something I can shoot a lot and not feel bad or throw in the truck if I want.

You have described a RIA to a "T". I would look no further. I have not had a need for their customer service, but have heard that it is top notch too.

Dan

Gunner84

Bearcat
Mixed reviews on Metro arms 1911's?? I have not read 1 bad review on a MA 1911.. Trust me, I done ALOT of research on MA and RIA.. I have a MA AC 2 deluxe, because nobody had a SR1911 (sol can't find one). My ac 2 was $530 OTD. Beautiful blue finish, novak style sights, extended beaver tail grip safety, extended slide stop, thumb safety, and extended mag release. Ive had Zero probs out of it. And accuracy, I nail 20oz bottle lids repetedly at 9 yards. As well as with my old p95... Metro Arms is a damn good inexpensive 1911.. I got my eye peeled for a SR1911 though.

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
And Ivan over in Pahrump, NV will help you with any customer service needs you might have. RIA is recommended by many on nearly every board I belong to. Mine is the mid-length with GI sights rather than the Novak cuts but it's been flawless since I bought it nearly 2 years ago. Only issue I had was a guide rod being galled by the recoil spring but a phone call to Armscor had Ivan putting a set in the mail to me the next day. They also handled some broken sight issues on an AK-22 from Armscor. No questions asked, just good CS and parts in the mail a few days later.

Get the Rock. I doubt you'll regret it.