SR1911 range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kermit

Bearcat
So far I've fired several hundred rounds through my SR1911. I've developed three good loads for my pistol so far. Two of the loads use Ranier 230 grain copper plated round nose bullets. One load uses 4.6 grains of Bullseye and is very good. It's averaging 765 fps. The second load uses 5.7 grains of Unique. It has more punch averaging 815 fps, but it's slightly less accurate than the Bullseye load.

A few days ago I took the third and newest load to the range to test it. This load uses WLP, 200 grain cast LSWC bullets made by GLC Bullets of Springfield, MO, and I used 4.2 grains of Bullseye. I seated the bullets at 1.260" OACL. This load averaged 763 fps. Accuracy was good at 25 yards. The round was pleasant to shoot, and the brass dropped close to me. Attached is a photo of my target. 25 rounds were fired at 25 yards.

So far I have no malfunctions with the copper plated round nose bullets I've loaded or factory loads. I loaded 50 rounds of the LSWC bullets to test. I had to failure to feeds due to the nose of the bullet jamming. The other 48 rounds worked perfectly. This may be due to my needing to perfect the loading technique for this round.

So far I'm very pleased with my pistol. The sights were set good from the factory, the trigger is good, and the accuracy seems good to me. Personally I think Ruger has done a good job with the SR1911. Mine is a keeper.
IMG_0001a.jpg

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Good target Kermit, the sr 1911 is a keeper. Mine shoots POA and leaves one jagged hole at 15 yds if I do my part. I'm loading Missouri Bullets IDP #4XD, 200 grn round nose flat point.
The main reason I'm using that bullet is for my XD 45's, the springfields don't really care for semi-wadcutters. I've found that bullet to shoot good in my sr 1911's my Colt and my RIA Tactical. All my 1911's will eat anything as will my P90 and P97.
As you can see I love 45 caliber. For Cowboy Action I shoot Vaqueros and a Marlin Cowboy, yep 45 Colt, same bullet. Around the farm here I usually carry a 4 5/8" SS Blackhawk in 45 Colt, same bullet, actually I use the same load for all of them (1 standard for ACP and 1 for 45 Colt) I even got an American Derringer in 45 Colt, makes me smile when someone says their LCP kicks. That target you shot at 25 yds is pretty darn good for a gun that some call a plinker.
Jim

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Nice target and good shootin', Kermit!! The SR1911's are looking better with every range report that comes in. Just as good as the more expensive pistols that are $200-$300 more.... despite what one on RF would have you believe.

Kermit

Bearcat
Jim,

I bought one box (500) of the GLC LSWC bullets. They are good looking bullets, and they do seem to shoot accurately. The fella that owns the company doesn't live too far from me here in MO. I do think that rather than the SWC style my next purchase of GLC bullets will either be the lead round nose or the lead round nose flat point bullets. I think those will eliminate any fail to feeds. Even if I was carrying the SR1911 as a duty weapon I'm not sure I wouldn't just load it with 230 grain FMJ ammo. My dad was in WWII and he said the Colt pistol with .45 ball ammo in it always worked, and he used it under bad circumstances.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Kermit,
I'm in full agreement with you on the FMJ, Heck, your starting out with a hole that's almost 1/2". who cares if it doesn't expand.
Jim

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer said:
Just as good as the more expensive pistols that are $200-$300 more....

LOL !!! But maybe not quite as good as some that are $200-300 LESS .... :D

IMG_0005-2-1.jpg

REV

bsnake

Single-Sixer
I'm loading Bear Creek Moly LRN 230 gr 1.215" OAL using Win 231 powder.
Accurate and not a single hiccup with maybe 4000+ rounds now.

revhigh

Hawkeye
What's RNFP ?

Round Nose Flat Point ??

Seems like a contradiction in terms ... although I know it exists.

REV

The Wall

Single-Sixer
That was really good shooting. How the heck did you keep from putting holes in that carpet? :lol:

mattsbox99

Hunter
It was too dark to take pictures at the range. I should have taken them with my other camera, but my phone is much faster at uploading them.

Dang Rev, I thought you knew everything!

1213112049.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
I pretty much knew what that stood for, as I indicated.

I've seen bullets like that called Truncated Cone ... at least that's what my .40's were called. :D

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
A truncated cone looks like the Semi Wadcutter. Well, what we call a semi wadcutter is a truncated cone. Truncated because its reduced in diameter from the driving band forward.

Kermit

Bearcat
As I said earlier I'm very pleased with my SR1911. I think the SR1911 will stand toe to toe with other 1911's that cost considerably more. Mine has consistently shot targets similar to that which is in my photo only using the other loads I worked up. Several folks at the range have commented that pistol seemed to shoot good and (tooting my own horn) that I was pretty deadly with it. 8) Oh, and by the way did I mention...IT'S 100% MADE IN THE USA!!!!! Folks in the USA can still do it right.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Heck yea Americans still build great guns! I'm very happy with my SR1911!

In the fair weather months I shoot with a local group that has several new shooters in it. One of the guys had purchased several new guns; XD, Glocks, and a P89. He was a habitual anticipator and just could not shake that. He struggled and was constantly changing guns and looking for a solution. I had offered up a 1911 for him to shoot several times but he always refused politely. One day I just took charge and had him shoot my SR1911. We went over to another part of the range and picked a clay target about 35 yards out. I gave him the basics of shooting the 1911 and he hit the target on the first shot. He was totally stoked and shot a few more magazines at several other targets hitting them all.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
What's RNFP ?

Round Nose Flat Point ??

Seems like a contradiction in terms ... although I know it exists.

REV

They use 'em in Cowboy Action shooting. In a tubular magazine the flat nose rest against the bullet in front of it so theirs no chanch of it setting off the round in front of it during recoil. :? Like the flat point on a 30-30.
Jim

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer said:
revhigh said:
Ruger Packer said:
Just as good as the more expensive pistols that are $200-$300 more....

LOL !!! But maybe not quite as good as some that are $200-300 LESS .... :D

IMG_0005-2-1.jpg

REV

But not a 100% Made in USA pissol. 8)

Only 5 shots?!? :shock: Did you miss with the other 2 or 3 shots???? :shock:

Yeah ... the other 3 were flyers ... no idea where they went !! :D

REV