Possible extractor issue on the sr1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

joeatact

Bearcat
45acp_shells.jpg

Notice the marks at the top of the shells. Could this be a extractor issue?
Of course I have only put about 110 shells throught the gurn.

After more breakin will these get better?

Joe

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I'd hazard a guess that these marks are not from the extractor, but rather the breech face. If you look closely at the right side of the breech face (as you're looking at the firing pin hole), you may see a machine mark. This mark is basically just "stamping" the case head. Fairly common in a lot of 1911's.

I wouldn't worry about it. If this is the case (I'm sure it is), it won't go away, but it won't hurt a thing.

On another note, what the heck is the deal with the primer on the left hand case?

avery53

Bearcat
With the rush to get these hot sellers out, do you suppose the QC has slipped a little?
I wouldn't be happy with it, let them fix it.

DocGlock

Bearcat
Are you maybe releasing the slide with a round in the chamber, then putting the mag in?

buscadero

Single-Sixer
The primer looks a little funny (some of it missing?) on the case on the left. JMHO :D
Jim

joeatact

Bearcat
I removed that primer. I believe the cause is the ridge to the right of the firing pin closest to the right breach. Filed it flat will see what happens at the range next week

Joe

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Are those reloadable like that? If not, and you reload, that would be a good reason to get it fixed.

A

Anonymous

try a wilson combat mag instead if you are using a stock ruger mag.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The case slides up under the extractor on a 1911, like the Mauser action on a bolt rifle. Plus Ruger's extractor isn't very big (standard 1911 extractor) certainly not as big as that mark. As Slim says, its a normal mark on the brass, 1911s are notorious for chewing up brass.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
For the life of me all I see in the picture is that one case has half a primer and all 3 cases have a place at the top that he says he filed flat. The rim of the primer pocket looks odd. If the breech face is doing that to the edge of the primer pocket you would see it. The breech face should be perfectly flat with just the firing pin hole.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I've magnified it to 400x and their appears to be a seam at the top.
I've been loading over 50 years and I know I haven't seen it all, but I've seen alot IMHO there's something wrong with that picture, whether it's the angle or whatever, somethings not right. Part of a primer is in the case, and I must admit that I've never seen a primer tear. The cup always comes out as one piece, normally. In the photo, the edges are too sharp and it appears silver colored instead of brass. I will also admit that I could be having a "tougher" moment. (see below)
Jim

mattsbox99

Hunter
Nothing in the left case looks like a primer to me. I see some soot from the firing of the primer and a clean spot in the bottom of the pocket.

---

joeatact, can you post a picture of the breech face for us?

kbawi

Bearcat
joeatact said:
45acp_shells.jpg

Notice the marks at the top of the shells. Could this be a extractor issue?
Of course I have only put about 110 shells throught the gurn.

After more breakin will these get better?

Joe

Can you please re-post the pictures of the shells. I think I have the same problem with the breech.

Thanks,
Gary

kbawi

Bearcat
joeatact said:
I removed that primer. I believe the cause is the ridge to the right of the firing pin closest to the right breach. Filed it flat will see what happens at the range next week

Joe

I Contacted Customer Support today and was on the phone for about 2 minutes before speaking with Carol. Had a return shipping form in my inbox within minutes to return to Ruger (next day air) for the high milling on the breech. I should expect a return within two weeks after milling it down. Very good customer service, so far from Ruger today, pleased with them. It appears they now know of the problem on the breech with some of the SR1911's. Look on page 14 of the owners manual (PDF Version), figure 6 ...you will see the high point there too on the right side of the firing pin.