Pics of my 1911 rust issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Gun went out to Ruger today but I managed to take an ok pic of the area. You can see the pitting and brown rust. The whole front strap is like that.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
IF---IF, that is an SS 1911 pistol I can pretty well say someone rubbed/scrubbed it down with regular iron/steel wool. The particles get in the pores of the steel and BINGO, Ferrous Oxide at your service, Sir !
And so it goes...

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
So do you think there is anything that Ruger can or will do about this? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
As has been posted here a few times (search is your friend), Ruger failed to treat the SS frames (and other parts) by chemical passivation methods for wayyy too long. They relied on mechanical passivation, i.e., media blasting, which is known to be inferior for most stainless alloys.
In the latter method especially, free ferrites (iron) open to the surface will oxidize and begin to show visible corrosion, which is obviously not quality nor value to the end customers. Actually, a good cleaning and wipe-down with quality oil like G96 or MR7 will all-but remove the spots and will prevent any "rapid" re-rusting of the remaining surface ferrite. But no one intended to pay good money for rust, right?

Ruger knew better and gambled with quality in favor of margin. I understand the RCCA went all the way to the top. I have yet to read that for myself.
Chemical passivation is normal & customary in their manufacturing world and cheap to process, except that it takes a few minutes to run material in batches. They simply chose to skip it.
Standard answer again - Send 'em back for correction on their dime. Everyone of them.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Thank you mohavesam for the information. I did a search and I thought the problem was mostly related to the older models. I hadn't read too many recent reports about this. I know Ruger eventually replaced a number of frames and I thought that solved the problem. They received my firearm today so hopefully they can clean it up so this doesn't keep happening. We shall see.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Got it back today. Looks great. Items repaired: grip frame, extractor, hammer, grip panels, slide. Dang! I'm glad I sent it in! Sounds like the whole firearm was a hot mess!

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
When I got it back I reused the box that Ruger shipped it in, and shipped back my new MC to them. Hammer rubs the frame on the revolver. 2 new handguns sent back. The MC was purchased a month ago and used twice. Crazy.

Two things.

Stainless steel is rust resistant, not rust proof. It still contains iron.

Some folk's hands are pretty corrosive. I for one can rust a blued handgun in a heartbeat. I have to make sure I wipe them down thoroughly after handling. I have less of a problem with stainless, but I have an AMT .380 (my first stainless pistol) that I didn't wipe down thoroughly after handling. It started to show rust after a bit. Learned my lesson.

RSIno1

Hunter
mohavesam said:
Ruger knew better and gambled with quality in favor of margin.
Too much of this anymore. The only thing on my "new" Ruger radar is a Lipsey's stainless No1 RSI .308. With Ruger skipping this simple/cheap process to save a few cents and minutes just killed my desire to get one.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I took my 1911 to the range yesterday and again today in less than ideal conditions. Yesterday at the outdoor range It was humid and we had a bit of rain. Today at the indoor range it was hot and humid. I was sweating a lot. Put another 200 rounds through it and it performed flawlessly. There seems to be no issues with the finish quality now, and it functions like it should. No complaints.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
True, but it shouldn't have developed a rust issue after one use. It seems practically perfect now, after Ruger fixed and sent it back to me. No issues now and I have fired it a lot since then. Still happy with it. Everyone who shoots it with me loves it.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
So I have another new firearm, a Kahr K9 stainless, a month old, and it is doing the same thing that my 1911 did. It is developing rust spots. I've been certain to whipe it down with an oiled cloth after use too. So the thought is that the rust on the SS models is actually caused by embedded particles from the cutting machinery. It is actually much worse on the kahr than on my Ruger. So I'm going to clean the kahr myself and see what happens. I have some good, gun-safe stainless rust remover on the way.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
MikeAvery71 said:
So I have another new firearm, a Kahr K9 stainless, a month old, and it is doing the same thing that my 1911 did. .. So the thought is that the rust on the SS models is actually caused by embedded particles from the cutting machinery...

- This is exactly why a passivation process is performed after any machining or finishing. BTW, contact with a carbide cutter does not introduce any ferrites.
Think about it...

Latest posts