Any 1911 Gurus

Help Support Ruger Forum:

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
The primers say you are running higher than normal pressures.
What I was wondering about the scrape on the case. Regarding your reply,Since its factory ammo I should try another brand. Sorry I didn't state what I was referring to in the photo,my first post (it was some what in more detail) some how was deleted.

Precision32

Blackhawk
The firing pin hole is either over sized or the firing pin under sized. That's why the primer is extruding into the FP hole. The edges of the primers don't show excess pressure IMHO.

The extractor is definitely hitting the back of the case. It should set just back from the breech face but the gun should run as it is.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
D_Gunner said:
Sorry I didn't state what I was referring to in the photo,my first post (it was some what in more detail) some how was deleted.
No problem. I was just making note of the one thing I could see. I noticed
the case deformation, but did/do not have enough experience with that to
comment further. :)

DGW1949

Hunter
D_Gunner said:
Snake45 said:
........And the cases are really smacking the ejector hard.

I guess I have to send it back to Ruger

Yeah on that...and while they have it, have 'em figure out what's up with the deformation around the FP mark on those primers...and....how come it is that the FP is hitting so far off of center.

In other words, that gun "aint right"....and Ruger should be made to either fix it or replace it.

DGW

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
I just opened the envelope that the spent round that comes with the gun. And it has similar marks except the one in the envelope has a dent in the side. My question is how's the quality of Rugers Customer Service.
Would they replace it with another 1911 if I asked this seems like it has about 3 problems now. And it left the factory this way. Seems like they have to address their quality control department. I have 3 Rugers lets see how they handle this will help me decide if there will be a 4th Ruger Thanks for the replies Im not too happy now. :evil:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The off center primer strikes aren't a real issue and there is no sign of over pressure nor an enlarged firing pin hole.

The extractor, not the ejector, is making a mark in the brass, it's just slightly set forward. Could be a case of tension bend or the cut out dimension. You could give Ruger a call as that is something to complain about but it's only beating up your brass a bit. 1911's are known to do that, one way or another.

DGW1949

Hunter
D_Gunner said:
I just opened the envelope that the spent round that comes with the gun. And it has similar marks except the one in the envelope has a dent in the side. My question is how's the quality of Rugers Customer Service.
Would they replace it with another 1911 if I asked this seems like it has about 3 problems now. And it left the factory this way. Seems like they have to address their quality control department. I have 3 Rugers lets see how they handle this will help me decide if there will be a 4th Ruger Thanks for the replies Im not too happy now. :evil:

Ruger is known for sloppy QC, but they are also known for their excellent customer service.
I can personaly testify that both are the case.
Whether they fix the gun or replace it aint your call. How they handle the problem is up to them, and will be based on what-all they find wrong after they get the gun back from you. Either way though, five'll get ya ten that you'll come out fine.

DGW

ra

Single-Sixer
The j-cut is not milled flush with the breech face, it seems to be common to a lot of 1911's. I have A SR1911 but mine is cut flush. The off center firing pin strike and primers look normal. Here is a thread of the same issue back in 2012.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=161470

Roger

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Thanks for posting RA. I looked at my slide and sure enough that's the culprit.
Thank you for the replies

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
doublebarrel said:
ra nailed it, the j cut on my ruger 1911 was the same. I filed it down and stoned it smooth to get rid of the mark.
I rather do what you said doublebarrel but would that void the warranty. If I wasn't planning on reloading the case with the mark I would just leave it alone. But I plan on reloading the cases

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
What I was wondering about the scrape on the case.

If you mean the line across the chord, that comes from the breechface being badly machined. It has a step in it that stands higher than the center area and when the force backward slams the case into the breechface, the step is swaged into the rim.

Look closely at the breechface and you can see it.

Yes. It's a problem. Call Ruger.

revhigh

Hawkeye
D_Gunner said:
Snake45 said:
Pat-inCO said:
The primers say you are running higher than normal pressures.
And the cases are really smacking the ejector hard.
I guess I have to send it back to Ruger

Those primers are fine. No need to change ammo.

Lots of 45 cases look like that. Then soft brass hits hardened metal ... It leaves a mark. No big deal IMO, but you could probably get Ruger to clean it up a little.

REV

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
[[/quote]

Those primers are fine. No need to change ammo.

Lots of 45 cases look like that. Then soft brass hits hardened metal ... It leaves a mark.

REV[/quote]
I was sorta hoping to reload the brass.I stated if it wasn't for me wanting to reload I would leave it alone.It doesn't effect the performance.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
No, it's not okay. The breechface has a step machined into it. That throws a side load into the slide with all the force concentrated on a narrow area when the gun fires. It can crack the slide in the port adjacent to the breechface.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I was sorta hoping to reload the brass.I stated if it wasn't for me wanting to reload I would leave it alone.It doesn't effect the performance.[/quote]

LOL ... I was just going to add ... If you don't reload ... To my post, but you mentioned it here ... I'm sure Ruger will fix it up for you ... Good Luck !

REV

Latest posts