Time is of the Essence for Ruger 1911's in California.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
Well Ruger stated straight out that they would not cave to CA's requirements and modify their 1911, send in a dozen guns to be destroyed and pay an outrageous fee to be able to sell them in California. That and it would only be good for the rest of the year since that's when the "Micro-Stamping" goes into effect and the technology does not yet exist to have a serial number on the tip of a firing pin that transfers to the primer of the fired case, but what is a fellow to do?

I'll tell you what Ruger did. They heard about a recently found loophole to the whole safety list altogether. Single shots that have a long enough barrel are exempt from the Safety List. So Ruger put a .380 pipe/barrel inside the 45ACP barrel and when the gun is handed over the counter it counts as a single shot pistol because in that configuration it is indeed a single shot and will fire one .380 round out the long and ungainly barrel. All the buyer has to do is to go home and pop out the pipe and load it up with their favorite 45 ACP loads and off they go a shooting. The best thing is that the DOJ will never be able to figure out who has what since it goes down on paper as a single shot pistol so the DOJ doesn't know if it was one of the sneaky ones or a legit single shot pistol. Best of both worlds and I saw both the commander and full size models at my LGS for 715.00 if that is a good price or not? I'm trying my best at getting a 454 Alaskan which is more nickles for sure so I'll probably will miss out on this one and kick myself many times latter on. Every other gun in the safe is a snub nosed revolver so what do you folk think? Should I continue my quest for the 454 Alaskan or take a break and pop for a gun that will only be available for four months unless the courts get involved again.

The Government of California has been taking some pretty hard knocks in the courtroom lately and we can only hope that that trend continues. Smithy.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
a good price is whatever is the going rate in your totalitarian state. in my neck of the woods the price was 629 + 7% sales tax.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
I believe there are roads leading out of that place .

GEEZ...

images1_zps114701ad.jpg

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
i feel sorry for you good folks that live there and i live in commie connecticut that is almost as bad.

no5shooter

Bearcat
Yup, buy one or both even if you have to heat up the credit card to do it. Love the ingenuity of the 1911 single-shot! As for all the snotty move-outta-there pieces of advice, it ain't all that easy for ordinary working people with decent jobs, kids, etc. I managed to escape and get home to Oregon, but a little luck was involved too.

5kwkdw3

Bearcat
Yup, buy one or both even if you have to heat up the credit card to do it. Love the ingenuity of the 1911 single-shot! As for all the snotty move-outta-there pieces of advice, it ain't all that easy for ordinary working people with decent jobs, kids, etc. I managed to escape and get home to Oregon, but a little luck was involved too.

That's for sure. My career involved working at a Nuclear Power Plant and those don't number very high. I know that TN has a few and they are spread around, but finding a job such as mine was especially hard at other plants. (Yes I did take a look). You see I worked as a Security Alarm Station Operator (basically the 911 operator for the plant). At ours we not only dispatched security, but fire and health and safety as well, not to mention responding to various Nuclear related problems. That amount of training I had to go through would have certainly got me a job elsewhere, but at what cost? You see after our parity contract went through we were making an insane amount of money for what I considered what little I did. I basically was there to react. If there was nothing to react to, then I could catch up on gun designs, my new Brownells catalog and looking up various stuff through our web access. You see, I worked for the Utility itself and not a contractor. Almost ALL of the Nation's other Nuclear Plants have contract security. For a fellow that makes 15 to 20 bucks an hour contract, the Utility has to pay the contractor around thirty to forty bucks for every hour that fellow works. Well, our Utility figured that since it was going to need a bunch more personnel, it might as well hire them directly, pay less per hour but more in the employee's mind and get better personnel as a result. I lived in a college town and I can't tell you just how many double major's and master's as well as PHD's were working as a simple ol guard. Why? Because they simply could not get a job in their major field of study and if they could, they found out that their pay would be a fifth of what they were getting as a guard.

Same thing happened to me. I was offered a job that I went to college to get. I had interned with the company three separate times and they apparently liked me a lot, because they had to do a LOT of searching just to find me after I had left school. I told the personnel director that I needed to think about it. That took all of two minutes and I called him back stating that I had my W2 from the previous year (admittingly with some over-time), and I had made over three times what he was now offering me. He then admitted that he could only come up a few thousand dollars above his first offer, but in no way could he ever offer three times as much. So he gracefully backed out of the phone call and wished me good luck in my new occupation. You simply cannot move from 50 some odd bucks an hour to about one third or even less in another state. I just could not make that make any sense to myself or any other family member.

So I lived on the coast where it rarely ventured four degrees from an even seventy and was one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived. I was married and had three children there and saw them all enter high school. My youngest daughter moved with us to the central valley to finish high school and enter nursing school after I had been put on disability. By that time I had so many devices implanted inside me and doctors to go with them that I could never move too far and certainly not out of State.

So you stay in place and try to make the best of things (like the above gun purchase suggestion) as well as becoming a lobbyist with your local, state, and national representatives. We have successfully blocked passage of several nasty looking gun laws as well as the courts dumping a few more. Smith and Ruger are taking the State to court about the denial of sales those companies would otherwise have. I wish them all the luck in court.

Living out of state and I would for sure have a Governor type of hand gun and just maybe have a can and/or a machine gun just for hoot's. But that in no way can override family, friends, and employment (not to mention the previously discussed doctor issue). Smithy.

eveled

Hawkeye
Don't let them beat you up about were you live, buy and enjoy the guns can. In the end they are just cordless drills, a tool used to make a hole. Family comes first, and retirement is coming. Ed