Grip screws for 1911...are they universal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
While shooting over the weekend I lost one of my grip screws on my 1911. A buddy of mine, who also has a Ruger 1911, lost one on his gun.

I checked on the Ruger store and they sell them in a pack of 4 for $3, but they have a $10 minimum order.

I don't need/want $10 worth of stuff. I need a couple of grip screws.

I was wondering if the screws are the same on all 1911s or are they make specific?

Anyone know the specific size of the Ruger screws?

I did see where lose screws are a common problem on the SR 1911. I do plan to get
some of the #60 O rings to help with this.

Thanks

AFAIK, all 1911 grip screws are the same, unless you are using slim grips, which require shorter bushings, which require shorter screws. These are not a common standard.
More info: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grip-bushings/slim-grip-screws-bushings-prod24892.aspx

1911 screws are dirt cheap. Don't break your bank on them. I have an extra set around here somewere. If i can ever locate them, they are yours.

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
Called Ruger and they are sending me some replacement screws. Again, some great customer service from them.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
So far I've used off the shelf third party parts for 1911's made by Wilson, Ed brown and Colt with no problem in my SR1911, including barrel and bushing, extractor, firing pin and firing pin stop, grips and magazines.

Though I haven't specifically tried it, I'd wager a box of ammo the grip screws are no different.

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
I took one of my grip screws into a couple of hardware stores...they had nothing that would work. I should be getting screws from Ruger in a couple of days.