77/357 & 77/44 bolt head question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cas6969

Buckeye
Are they all finished this crudely? :(

8FD1A376-BA29-44C5-9D1E-C2E994653705.jpeg

DFA3FC59-E838-4082-9455-2C4979EE4F26.jpeg

The whole bolt head is "wavy" though in the photos it only looks like the one surface.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
You made me look at mine and its nowhere close to your picture. Mine is machined pretty nice actually. Yours even looks like some voids possibly in the casting. Id be letting Ruger know they need to fit a new bolt in that rifle if I were you.

cas6969

Buckeye
It's one of those things that try as I might with the camera, it looks a lot worse in person. :lol:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I think your camera is working just fine. Instead of machining , it looks like a board that came out of a planer with worn out knives!

cas6969

Buckeye
^ I've read that they have two extractors. When I read that I thought the person who wrote it was just mistaken. But I see yours does in fact have two. Is your's a 44?

Mine is 357 with a single extractor. Now I'm curious... is that 357 vs 44 or older vs newer?

Both feeding and extraction issues is what has me looking at my bolt a little closer.

Mine is a 44 and I purchased it just over a year ago when Cabelas was having a big sale. $399

SN: 740-449XX

Mine does well but does the same thing that most do.

Last round extraction issues with spent case getting held up and stopping on top of the magazine.

Feeds pretty good but I have had some issues with 265 grain reloads not running smooth.

Bill

cas6969

Buckeye
I get what in a pistol you'd call a "3 point jam'. More often than not. Working the bolt I have to cycle it half way (till it stops), back it up a hair, then go forward. Doesn't seem to be related to bullet, OAL, or crimp. I'm thinking of gently breaking the edges of the chamber mouth and polishing.

Extraction issue are it leaves cases fully in the chamber with seemingly no rhyme or reason.
I need to pull the extractor off and check it out under magnification. The extractor spring doesn't seem particularly strong to me either. I'm thinking it could use a little help.

cas said:
Working the bolt I have to cycle it half way (till it stops), back it up a hair, then go forward.

I know what you mean. It can be distracting but this method normally works to allow chambering to continue.

Extraction: I have never had it fail to remove the case from the chamber. In my situation, it drags the casing across the empty magazine and does not allow the brass to be ejected away.

While at the range, I shoot 4 rounds and keep the bolt closed on final round. I remove the magazine. (Seems easier with bolt closed). I then operate the bolt to eject the spent case.

Bill

cas6969

Buckeye
Buckeye Bill said:
While at the range, I shoot 4 rounds and keep the bolt closed on final round. I remove the magazine. (Seems easier with bolt closed). I then operate the bolt to eject the spent case.

Well I'm glad to read this, I was wondering if it was just me or my gun. The more I use this rifle, the more and more I keep thinking.. "man, this is a real crappy design all around." :lol:

langenc

Single-Sixer
Mine is a 44 and I purchased it just over a year ago when Cabelas was having a big sale. $399-posted by Buckeye Bill few posts above.

I paid quite a bit more that that for my 77/44 about summer 2016 or 2015.
You ought to be ashamed.

I have a Ruger # 1 in 44 Mag and feel like I have the 44 mag rifle category covered.

When someone posted about the sale at Cabelas, I ordered one off their site. Great deal.

Now, the rifle does have some design issues but it has a lot of positive factors as well.

It is very light.

It is rugged and dependable.

It shoots 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Bill

I paid $650 for my 77/44. It works fine as long as the ammo is 1.65 inches in length or less. I guess they expect you to be the beta tester since you only paid $399! :shock: :mrgreen:
gramps