When can we expect a Ruger 6.8mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jump the curve and get one out there before anyone else, especially in the #1, S/S, wood, 20" barrel and on and on. Now I'm not talking about the SPC, rather the new proposed 6.8 "military".

9x19

Hunter
They've already offered the Mini and the SR556 in 6.8 SPC, neither sold well.

grobin

Blackhawk
The 300PRC has been selected as the new sniper base. There are contradictory posts about the new main battle rifle cartridge, including 6.5PRC (unlikely). AFAIK NO SELECTION HAS BEEN MADE!!

wunbe

Buckeye
Ruger also made a compact 77 in 6.8.

I may have the only 6.8 SPC Ruger #1 in captivity. Custom of course, by Carolina Precision. Synthetic camo stock and cerrocoated action/barrel. Slightly under 7 lbs scoped. 21 inch fluted barrel. A real heresy to the die hard #1 addicts but a neat stalking rifle in a low recoil, lethal, caliber with lots of commercial ammo options.

wunbe

grobin

Blackhawk
Amusing rumor next will be a 7.62 with a similar form factor to the 300 BLK, but much more powerful :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll:

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
The military looking into a new 6.8 isn't a rumor. A large grant was issued to 5 manufacturing concerns to develop weapons systems and submit samples for testing/evaluation.

The 5 are FN, ATK, H&K, PCP, and a fifth I'm not familiar with and can't remember.
For the personal weapon, it'll be similar to current M4. The real question is going to be the SAW (squad automatic weapon). It's performance and reliability will determine if the program moves foward.
My source suggests that it will be either the .270AR or even based on the .30REM AR case. Either way, Performance is a step above the 6.8SPC.
Perhaps it's even the long, eventual, final development of the telescoping case.
But, it will be firing a monolithic bullet like the M855mkIII (like a Barnes TTSX, except tip is a hardened steel penetrator, instead of plastic).
Long range performance is said to be equal to a 6.5, only with better wounding charactistics on soft targets.

It's going to be interesting to see what it is.
Lots of tight lips and rumors running around Ft Benning and the H&K folks.

I have been shooting and reloading for AR's in 6.8 SPC II for years now. I have been reading lots of posts on the 6.8 Forum about this topic. I believe that it is far more than rumor at this point. I think it will need to see a solid decision by the military that is supported with lots of details for manufactures to follow suit. We all know how well the military does at making complex decisions about future weapons and ammunition.

Bill

grobin

Blackhawk
The military has a long and successful history of screwups going back to the M14! The 5.56 has been made less useful over the years and the M4 while a useful urban warfare weapon has proved a compromised junk weapon as a main battle rifle. Apparently some new ammo will solve all its problems!?

The best argument for 6.8 is that it's different; that reminds me of the Yahoos in Gulliver's Travels. They take a bite out of green corn spit it out and take a bite of a different green con cob spit it out.....

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/12/10/more-than-a-rifle-how-a-new-68mm-round-advanced-optics-will-make-soldiers-marines-a-lot-deadlier/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7954198/us-army-new-assault-rifle-obliterate-enemies-tank/

These two articles do seem to be hype but I thought I would share.

Bill