Not going to trade or buy Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck

Blackhawk
Been looking for a 257 Roberts caliber rifle their not to popular and the ones out their are to high priced, got to looking at the ballistic of it and my 6mm Remington and their aint that much so am going to forget the Roberts and stay with my 6mm.

chuck

Blackhawk
Tom W said:
If you want one you'd best get one. It will haunt you for the rest of your life......

I know what your saying but not this time, I have been looking for over 3 Mos. and you would not believe the offers I have gotten.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I would not worry about it. Think of it this way, the cases are each derived from the 7X57. No difference there. the bullets are 0.014" different in diameter and there is 0.0457 ounce difference in the most common hunting weight bullets. The 257has a SAAMI pressure of 54000 PSI (58000 for the +P loading) and the 6mm has a SAAMI pressure rating of 65000 PSI. This means the slightly smaller 6mm bullet will be traveling about 300 FPS faster at the muzzle. Do you think you or the game will know the difference?

chuck

Blackhawk
robertkirksey said:
I would not worry about it. Think of it this way, the cases are each derived from the 7X57. No difference there. the bullets are 0.014" different in diameter and there is 0.0457 ounce difference in the most common hunting weight bullets. The 257has a SAAMI pressure of 54000 PSI (58000 for the +P loading) and the 6mm has a SAAMI pressure rating of 65000 PSI. This means the slightly smaller 6mm bullet will be traveling about 300 FPS faster at the muzzle. Do you think you or the game will know the difference?

Your so right, also the people that wanted to trade or sell me a 257 thinks they are made of GOLD so I would feel bad if I traded or bought one from them.

pete44ru

Hunter
chuck said:
Been looking for a 257 Roberts caliber rifle their not to popular and the ones out their are to high priced, got to looking at the ballistic of it and my 6mm Remington and their aint that much so am going to forget the Roberts and stay with my 6mm.

Smart move - the .257 & the 6mm are both based on the 7x57 case.

The real difference, however, is that IIRC .257's have a rifling twist that'll allow using a heavier boolitt than a 6mm (117gr vs 100gr).

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I have both and wouldnt sell you anyone of my 4 257's even for a really high price. A 257 loaded with 100gr bullet at 3150 fps is good antelope medicine. All the way out to 400 yards. Also makes a pretty good deer round too. I dont want to give up my 6mm but it will go before any of my Roberts

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
I too have a 257 but it is a little different animal and wouldn't part with it for anything ! Back in 89 I picked up two Model 70 Winchester Winlites, one a 7 Mag and the other a 300 Win,all came with McMillan stocks,available in only six calibers.Being I already had a 7 mag I had that one re barreled with a hart 26" stainless barrel to a 257 Wby. After that,it became my number one choice for everything I used prior,117 gr Hornady BTSP at over 3400 fps works well for me.I have shot more than a dozen white tails on the farm I hunt,all 500 yds + and many more under that and all one shot kills.
Can't beat the 257 in my book ! :D

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have a friend with a 257 Roberts Encore barrel he has been looking to sell. It is a non catalog item that was offered to TCA members back when I was one and got it for him. He has not used it as he hunts with 7/08 and is well pleased with that. If an Encore Rifle barrel would help you let me know and I can put you in touch with him.