Tell me about 77 flat & hollow bolts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
The hollow bolts were made about the last seven months of 1971. Manufacturers do not throw away good parts, so I understand there was a period of time when (in long actions) flat bolts, round bolts and hollow bolts were all being boxed up. All the while the short actions were all flat bolts.

The idea the ST (Sights and Tapped for scope blocks) came first is wrong. They came a little later.These are sometimes called RTs, I guess for round top, but that was never a factory designation. There was also a PL which stood for Plain. These were non-sighted rifles tapped for scope blocks and were basically STs without the sights. These were only available to distributors who sold at a certain level.

As for the vertical split rings, that is probably the second most rare item to ever be shipped on a Model 77 from the factory. Much more rare than those on the early No.1s.

salem103

Bearcat
"As for the vertical split rings, that is probably the second most rare item to ever be shipped on a Model 77 from the factory..." what's the rarest?

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
Robert, I'll take a swing at this question regarding the "rarest" item. Would it be a factory supplied front sight "hood" for the rare slotted front base?

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Here is an inside page from the 9/68 Guns&Ammo.

TonXJmV.jpg

wyoming7220

Bearcat
I have a 69 Gun Digest with the initial M 77 and a souped up #1 on the cover. The M 77 has the vertical rings and the rounded edges on the Pachmayer recoil pad.
Inside is a major article on the development of the M 77 with the ideas incorporated into the design.

The stock was designed by Les ( or maybe Len ) Brownell. He was a custom gunmaker from Sheridan Wyoming. He used his "classic" style i.e. straight comb when the prevailing shapes involved cheek pieces, raised combs, white line spacers for grip caps and fore end tips with 45 degree angles.

Changed the shape of gunstocks for years to come.

Wyoming7220

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
Agreed, the M77's Brownell classic styled stock was a breath of fresh air amidst a sea of California styled stocks with worthless accoutrements offered during thar era!

salem103

Bearcat
I've seen a hand full of slotted front sighted flatbolts, but never the sight hood. Do they exist? Ruger made/marked?

doccash

Buckeye
I bought a 77 RS flatbolt .22-250 with steel floor plate and triggergard at an Amarillo gunshow in the 1980s for 160.00. Try to top that one !!! Since that time I have bought every hollow bolt I've run across, preferably with sights. Love those 70 series Ruger 77s. Dr.C

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Thanks 308longdistance. I was about to see if this pic was still on my computer. That sign is part of my display at the Boise show.

doccash, I can't beat that but I bought an RS Flat Bolt 22-250 in Colorado Springs for $300. Cabelsa has a 7 mm Mag RS Hollow Bolt at their Boise store. Don't ask me how I know!

:mrgreen:

308longdistance

Blackhawk
OldRugerMan said:
Thanks 308longdistance. I was about to see if this pic was still on my computer. That sign is part of my display at the Boise show :mrgreen:

7zM8s2N.gif
I knew I stold that from someone years ago, just didn't know who to give the credit to :mrgreen: Nice work!

gunzo

Hunter
Strange I'd see this today for a couple reasons.

I'd forgotten about this thread & there 2 mentions of a slender barrel in the 7 mag. Probably won't answer your question ruger66, but here goes.

The heavier barrel, a #2 contour as I recall Ruger calling it while on the phone about them one day. It's heavy IMO for a sporter & some confuse them for a varmint contour to which it is not. Even though, Rugers varmint contour wasn't as heavy as Remington's or Winchesters at the time. I've seen the #2 on 25-06, 7, 300, & 338 mags as far back as they made them.

Then the only one changed to my knowledge was the 7 mag. & the other 3 remained the same. Now, memory of that change is iffy but thinking early '80's & I seem to remember it coincided with another change that I rarely see mentioned; a considerable narrowing & rounding toward the top of the forearm. This change can easily be seen along side an earlier 77. The flats on top of the forearm along side the barrel channel will be noticeably wider on the older model.

gunzo

Hunter
Did 77's start at the 70 prefix?

I don't fool with them anymore but sometimes would still like to know more about them.