Taller No 1 Sight Blade

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
I have a No 1 in 30-06 that I developed a good 110 gr load for. At 50 yards, three holes are touching. Problem is, the group is 10" above POA. I'm using an NECG rear peep sight. My front sight is .375" high from bottom of base to top of bead. I need a blade that's .500" from bottom of base to top of bead in order to zero.

Who makes a blade that tall that will fit the Ruger ramp? NECG makes taller blades with white beads but they only go up to .435" height. I hear XS makes blades that will fit but I'm having a hard time finding info.

Thanks for any help!

Hopefully someone here can help. ( I say that because my following comment will probably not be helpful)

Just start shooting that rifle Like it should be shot.... out to at least 200 yards...

not what you are looking for but I had a Mini 14's barrel cut down and the front sight was too short it seems and was shooting high at 100 yards and so I epoxied a small stainless steel rod on the front sight.

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
I use this rifle on groundhogs. I can still shoot pretty good with peep sights but connecting with a g'hog at 100 yards is about my limit. If I could get it to shoot 2" high at 50 yds I think that will work. In that case I only need a front sight .475" tall.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Gunboat57, I searched Brownells yesterday. All I could find was the factory Ruger gold bead at .409" height, which would help, but probably not enough. It's part # 780-000-184. Bob! 8)

pete44ru

Hunter
gunboat57 said:
In that case I only need a front sight .475" tall.

FWIW, the tallest front sight height that NECG lists is .435".

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4243&ST=RUGER 3/32" White Bead Front Sight#.W2DpRuQUfIU

A telephone call to an NECG CS rep might result in them making a .500" tall front sight blade - IDK.

XS will supply one of their White Line front sights in any height a customer wants for their Ruger #1 rifle, and supplies customers a plastic post so the customer can cut it down as they zero the rifle, to arrive at the correct sight height.

(The White Line is easily totally or partially blacked out with a Sharpie, for those who don't like it.)

The customer then orders the correct height front sight, or measures/orders a front sight of the measured height.

If the customer finds out that the height is incorrect, they will replace it free (for US customers) with the correct height sight blade.
If the customer installs the incorrect sight, they will replace it for 50% of the full sight blade cost.

http://www.xssights.com/ITEMMEDIA/10045/Ruger%20No.1%20Installation.pdf

I have found that reps from both NECG & XS Sights are very nice folks, and reasonable to deal with - in addition to knowing what they're about (pro's).

RJ556

Buckeye
X/S makes flat top, white line front sights for the Ruger #1 & M77 up to .600" tall. If they don't make the exact size you need, 'you can file the top down on one that's close. I have considerable capitol invested in X/S sights. I think they are the best available.

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like my best bet is to get the tallest XS sight and file down to suit. I'd prefer to have a bead but I think a flat top blade can work.

pete44ru

Hunter
gunboat57 said:
Seems like my best bet is to get the tallest XS sight and file down to suit.

As I posted above:

XS SIGHTS WILL SEND YOU (FREE) A PLASTIC POST YOU CAN CUT DOWN/ZERO/MEASURE, SO YOU CAN GET THE CORRECT HEIGHT THE FIRST TIME.