New Number 1 variations at Lipseys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
They also have a Blue 1-A in 250 Savage with a 24" barrel. My FFL has one of those coming my way. Should be here by Monday. Not getting my hopes up too high on the wood. Looks like the new stainless/walnut models are an RSI in 6.5x55, and a 1-S in 45-70.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I am happy to get the RSI Swede, sight unseen. Ruger has sure been pushing out a bunch of K1 versions of late. Used to be I could count on one only every year or two. Cannot afford all of them, have to let this 1S 4570 walk

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Rocdoc said:
I am happy to get the RSI Swede, sight unseen. Ruger has sure been pushing out a bunch of K1 versions of late. Used to be I could count on one only every year or two. Cannot afford all of them, have to let this 1S 4570 walk

My FFL said they had those RSI Swedes in stock yesterday !

Single-Sixer
Glad to see they are still making them, but I have all those #1 bases covered already, darn it!!!!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Well, I generally hate the blue #1 rifles, there are a few of these pests that snuck in here, but they aint leaving. LOVE the K1 editions. Happy Lipseys is still in the #1 business

BlkHawk73

Hunter
The complaints will come. Want XXX wood, spend the money but to spend what the #1's are I've yet to be disappointed. Then again, I buy for the variation/chambering not to be flashy and showy. Like the .250 Savage chambering!

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Clark said:
What is the street price on these No. 1's with an MSRP of ~$1900?

Clark

I have one coming in, and my FFL is charging me $1325. I've seen some on Gunbroker in the $1375 - $1400 range.

rangerbob

Buckeye
MrBumps or anyone else, does anybody know what twist rate the 250 Savage #1A has. It's not shown on the Ruger or Lipseys website. This little rifle really turns me on. Most previous 250's have a 1/14 twist which is to slow to stabilize heaver bullets. a 1/10 would be just right. I've been reloading for 51 years and had a couple of 250's in the 80's, a M70 and a M700 classic. I recently read about the 6.5 CM necked down to 25 which would be ideal as 6.5CM brass is widely and readily available. Basically it's a 250 AI without fireforming. It's hard to justify an expensive rifle just to rechamber it, though. Of course 25/284 would work, as well. Bob!! :mrgreen:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
rangerbob said:
MrBumps or anyone else, does anybody know what twist rate the 250 Savage #1A has. It's not shown on the Ruger or Lipseys website. This little rifle really turns me on. Most previous 250's have a 1/14 twist which is to slow to stabilize heaver bullets. a 1/10 would be just right. I've been reloading for 51 years and had a couple of 250's in the 80's, a M70 and a M700 classic. I recently read about the 6.5 CM necked down to 25 which would be ideal as 6.5CM brass is widely and readily available. Basically it's a 250 AI without fireforming. It's hard to justify an expensive rifle just to rechamber it, though. Of course 25/284 would work, as well. Bob!! :mrgreen:

I believe the 77 RSI's they did in stainless/walnut were 1/10 twist, so I am assuming these new ones are as well, but don't know for certain. It's not posted in the details on Lipseys, so probably have to call Ruger to find out for sure.

Single-Sixer
It's 1/10, at least it is on my K1A .250. Nobody would make a 1/14 twist in that caliber anymore, it's well known for decades that the 1/10 is superior. Even Savage, whenever they chambered a model 99 in .250 after 1960, changed to 1/10, and they pioneered the 1/14 twist for the 87 gr. bullet early on.

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
If anyone has received their new K1A, K1S, or K1RSI from this latest run of stainless/walnut models, I'd be interested to know if the grip cap is blue or silver/stainless. I'm looking for a silver/stainless cap to restore an older K1A to it's original configuration, and the parts department at Ruger told me that they are no longer making that part in a silver finish. When I asked what they are putting on the current run of K models, he said that the bill of materials "probably" specified a blue cap. That seems odd to me, but someone with a new K model could confirm it.

jjas

Single-Sixer
Boatbuilder said:
If anyone has received their new K1A, K1S, or K1RSI from this latest run of stainless/walnut models, I'd be interested to know if the grip cap is blue or silver/stainless. I'm looking for a silver/stainless cap to restore an older K1A to it's original configuration, and the parts department at Ruger told me that they are no longer making that part in a silver finish. When I asked what they are putting on the current run of K models, he said that the bill of materials "probably" specified a blue cap. That seems odd to me, but someone with a new K model could confirm it.

If you look @ the pictures that the dealers are showing for those models, it does appear the grip cap is stainless/silver.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-k1a-lgt-sport-30-30-ss-wd-22.html

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Boatbuilder said:

I just picked up one of the K1RSI in 6.5x55 and the grip cap is stainless.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I was going to call Ruger this morning, but I saw on their website they were closed through the 6th. I'm still on the fence on the #1A in 250, although I have hedged by bets. I just received a new 3 die set of Lee dies, 200 Speer 100 gr. BTSP bullets, and a Lee trim gauge. CFE 223 is on the shelf and I just ordered 100 Hornady 250 Savage cases along with, finally, a 9mm Ruger carbine, 9 & 10mm ammo, 18 more moon clips for my 10mm GP-100 MC, and 100 WW 325 WSM brass form Williams Shooters Supply. Years ago, in the 80's, I had a 700 Classic in 250 Savage with a 24" barrel. I loaded with R-P brass and 100 gr. bullets with a book load. The brass were swollen and out of round just ahead of the extraction groove. I figured that I had either bad brass or the chamber was out of spec. The same ammo displayed no symptoms when fired in my M70. I eventually sold both rifles to the same man, a self proclaimed 250 Savage fan, who left with both rifles grinning from ear to ear. Lipseys still has about 80 of those rifles and I check stock daily. Bob!! 8)

Single-Sixer
My stainless/walnut M77 RSI in 275 Rigby has a blue grip cap—-I thought that odd also.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
250 Savage brass: As an owner/shooter/hunter/handloader of this round since 1983 (!), I can tell you the factory brass I've had which is mostly Winchester, is more undersize than most in the case head diameter. I've had a good bit that measures near 0.462-464" than the 0.468" you might expect. I'm guessing it's made undersized due to all the lever guns it was used in- Savage 99. Recently I purchased Lapua 22-250 brass for use in my 250 Ack Imp Shilen barrel Ruger 77, and was happy to find it measuring 0.468-469", a much better fit in my 0.470" chamber. I used an OLD Clymer solid pilot reamer to cut my chamber an it measures about 0.470" across the flutes. I would hope more recent reamers are closer to 0.468" or even a thou smaller.
Measure your Hornady 250 brass across the web when you get it- I'm interested to know what it is.