Ruger No. 1 44 magnum.......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I can't offer shooting results as I have not shot mine yet. I do like how it handles. Normally I don't care for 20" barrel length for 'rifle' cartridges but it is more than enough length to get all the 'goody' out of a 44 mag round. I have had several 44RM pistols in 44 with 7.5" barrels in revolvers, and 10" and 14" Contender barrels thinking I was getting all the available power out of the 44 even then. So a 20" barrel seems like a howitzer barrel in comparison. I hope I can get mine to the range soon and give accuracy results.
What are you thinking about using one of the 44 mag No.1's for? If you handload it should be a great rifle for cast or jacketed rounds. If you don't handload there are still LOTS of commercial ammunition easily available. Post if you get one!

CMH

Blackhawk
Looking for one for the range and to hunt with. My best guess is that a 20" tube in the correct twist ought to wring the performance out of the 44.

CMH

Blackhawk
Found it..... thank you. Curious as to how it does with the big 300 plus gr bullets.... both copper jacket and lead?

pulaski

Single-Sixer
CMH ,
I spent much time working up an accurate load for mine .
It will shoot the Hornady 300g bullets really well , just have to set them out a long way .
I have an affection for cast though . Found I needed a longer bullet .
Contacted Tom at Accurate molds and he made me a mold to fit . 43-300S
This sits just off the lands and with 2400 will put 5 into 5/8" at 50yds.
With sight adjustments I can hit a 6" gong at 200yds. all day .
Most hunting shots I get in northern WI. are inside 100 yds.
I really like the fit and finish of mine and it has tiger striped walnut forarm to butt plate .
Steve

I am very happy with the rifle. I have a few No.1's and the fit and finish on this 44 is completely up to standard. I think the wood is above some of the recent standards that I have seen. I like how the rifle balances and it has a decent trigger.

This target was at 100 yards. I adjusted the scope down and right for the group after first few rounds. I think I can do better.

I have been loading 240 grain Hornady XTP's on top of W296. Recoil is mild.

I love it!

Bill

CMH

Blackhawk
Thank you fella's..... thats what I was wanting to know. Now its gone from I wouldnt mind having one to I gotta get one :) Now to sell a revolver!!

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure when mine will get here with the Christmas rush on right now, but I think it will be after Christmas. I can see myself spending a lot of time with this rifle, should be a lot of fun and with the 1:20" twist rate I can't see any problem shooting heavier bullets.

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
Buckeye Bill said:

I am very happy with the rifle. I have a few No.1's and the fit and finish on this 44 is completely up to standard. I think the wood is above some of the recent standards that I have seen. I like how the rifle balances and it has a decent trigger.

This target was at 100 yards. I adjusted the scope down and right for the group after first few rounds. I think I can do better.

I have been loading 240 grain Hornady XTP's on top of W296. Recoil is mild.

I love it!

Bill

Thanks for sharing the photos. It gives me something to look at while I'm waiting for mine!

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Buckeye ,
How far out do you have those 240g bullets from the case mouth .
I couldn't get them out far enough and keep the crimp solid .
Give the 300g Hornady's a try and I bet the vert. shrinks
Steve

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
CMH said:
Well..... worked out a deal on my FA so before long Ill have one of these.... thanks gentlemen :)

Glad to hear it! I picked mine up yesterday and I'm very happy with it. I mounted a Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R scope with a duplex reticle and a fire dot on it. I really like the set up.