Ruger American Predator

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
Any experience with this rifle? I'm looking at one in .308. Sportsman's Warehouse has them on sale for $399.

Web searches routinely call it a sub $500 1,000 yard gun with mild tweaking out of the box.

I'd like to hear from actual owners...

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I just joined the American club today. I have read a ton about them. Very rare is it that anyone isn't just thrilled with theirs. 1000 Yard shooting is a highly specialized game. While the American is generally very accurate given the price, there are probably much better ways to approach the 1000 yard game.

I have a Predator in 223. It will shoot .5" to .75" three shot groups at 100 yards with a variety of loads. My standard American in 308 also shoots sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Both have a 3x9 scope with no other work done.

I have a compact 22 and a standard 17 HMR as well, and they both are extremely accurate.

Not pretty but they do shoot.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
I 'mildly tweaked' mine.......

IMG_0005_zps5jr0r5ss.jpg

Allen in MT

Bearcat
I got the predator in 6.5CM and did a 100 yd 5 shot group with the Hornady 140 ELD match. All 5 holes touch each other. Getting my home rolled worked up to see which powder works best and then chrony the shots to work a dope chart and there is no problem shooting 1000 yd with it, biggest thing I don't like is the cheap plastic stock. Boyd's make stocks for the ruger but I want the pro varmint and it is only made for the American and not the American predator so now i have to see if there is enough room in the American stock to enlarge the channel to accept the predator action and barrel.