77/357 opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman said:
This thread has got me interested in getting a rifle chambered in 38/357 to go along with my BH convertible. After looking at the options I believe that it will be another M92 Rossi. Might not be the tack driver that a well running 77/357 can be.......but reports are.....the 20 inch SS version with 10 rounds on board, will give me minute-of-coffee cup accuracy out to 100 yards..... for a lot less money. That's all I need for a woods gun. :idea:

I just picked up a 357/38 Rossi 92 16" barrel stainless carbine. I plan on giving it a trial along with a 94AE Trapper 44 mag. Should be fun! Will post results.

Dave

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have a Lee mold for the 358-125-RF bullet which drops around 129 grains. I'm planning to make the .357 loaded with this slug my go-to choice for varmints, on four feet or two feet. This bullet is a plain base design, meaning it won't take as much pressure as a jacketed or gas check bullet will. Still, with the longer barrel it should not be any special trick to get it up to 1300 fps or so. My Marlin has a 1:16 twist and micro groove rifling, whereas a Rossi has 1:30 twist with standard rifling. The Rossi is ideal for pushing light slugs fast, as it is less likely to cause the bullet to break free from the rifling. I may end up getting a Rossi just for this purpose.

Heliman said:
tinman said:
This thread has got me interested in getting a rifle chambered in 38/357 to go along with my BH convertible. After looking at the options I believe that it will be another M92 Rossi. Might not be the tack driver that a well running 77/357 can be.......but reports are.....the 20 inch SS version with 10 rounds on board, will give me minute-of-coffee cup accuracy out to 100 yards..... for a lot less money. That's all I need for a woods gun. :idea:

I just picked up a 357/38 Rossi 92 16" barrel stainless carbine. I plan on giving it a trial along with a 94AE Trapper 44 mag. Should be fun! Will post results.

Dave

I shot the Rossi and Winchester Trapper today. Both performed and functioined just fine. I need to do some fine tuning and will probably install an aftertmarket sight on the Rossi, but all and all it performed great and was accurate as an open sighted rifle being shot with "old man eyes" can expect.

Secondly, I had the pleasure of shooting WAYNO's fine 77/357. It is legitimately a 50yd tack driver. I will let him expand on that further as he sees fit..... :D

Dave

Heliman said:
Heliman said:
tinman said:

Dave

I shot the Rossi and Winchester Trapper today. Both performed and functioined just fine. I need to do some fine tuning and will probably install an aftertmarket sight on the Rossi, but all and all it performed great and was accurate as an open sighted rifle being shot with "old man eyes" can expect.

Secondly, I had the pleasure of shooting WAYNO's fine 77/357. It is legitimately a 50yd tack driver. I will let him expand on that further as he sees fit..... :D

Dave

I shot Heliman's Rossi today. Still consider them to be rougher than a cob, and there's no comparing the Rossi action to any Marlin or Winchester, but I was quite pleased with the accuracy of his little rifle. Pleased enough that I could end up with one, especially since the stainless Marlins are nearly impossible to buy. And don't listen to Heliman blaming his old mans eyes for anything. He was shooting very respectable groups with this Rossi and its iron sights.

And, the 77/357...

This was a two-part road test. Tested out the latest scope purchase for this rifle, and further a test of the rifle itself. I already posted my latest impressions of the VX HOG scope... http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=235028&p=2362619#p2362619

The rifle itself worked exactly as well as I hoped it would. Ya might remember the original magazine would not function at all. Ruger sent me a replacement. In the meantime I filled the magazine with a product called "Pox-E-Lube", a dry lube that I've used for years on fire suppression system padlocks. It worked immediately well on this magazine, and I did not have a single failure throughout my test.

This rifle continues to be a pleasure to shoot. I've only tested it at 50-yards, and at that distance there's not a rabbit or ground squirrel this gun would ever miss. This gun is darned small, and very handy. If there was any recoil, and I'm sure there was, I didn't notice it. This is also a rifle I could have in my pickup, and be very well armed with just this weapon. Coyotes, other varmints, maybe even a deer if the right shot presented itself, and it'd be a very versatile survival gun.

This was a good day. And a good day for Heliman. He out shot me with everything we shot today.

WAYNO.

"This was a good day. And a good day for Heliman. He out shot me with everything we shot today.

WAYNO."

Well, let's not get carried away. I am usually the one who gets out shot! :D
We shot for nearly 3 hours and used up lots of ammo, but had a blast... :D

Dave

J-kid

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
Nerostarr said:
Wayno, I bought the 77/357 about 2 months ago. I did the volquartsen sear and spring $36 and it dropped the trigger down to 2lbs. I also installed the bolt shims $10 and added a skinner peep sight $51 and this is by far my favorite rifle to shoot. It's very accurate and a great hunting or truck gun.

I would like to see how the Skinner sight is mounted to the 77/357. And, does the front sight need to be changed? Their website does not show a sight for the rotary-bolt-action Rugers.

WAYNO.

The Skinner mounts in the rear sight slot. I use it with my original front sight. I have the Skinner front sight but don't feel it's as precise. I'm a fan of rear mounted peep/aperture sights and wondered how a forward mounted peep would work. I absolutely love it!

cb4017

Bearcat
Well, I've been hankering for a .357 long gun and was close to picking up a Rossi, then remembered the 77/357 and thought I would give it a try. Ordered one from my LGS last week and picked it up today. Not impressed.

I haven't shot it yet but looking it over I found a few areas of surface rust at the front site and on top of the receiver, some flakes of metal in the forward area of the mag well. I decided to remove the stock to clean it up and had a hell of a time getting the front stock screw loose. I finally had to resort to a hand impact driver to get it out.

I cleaned the surface rust off with some 0000 steel wool and oil and cleaned up the metal flakes. Luckily I didn't mess up the front stock screw too much.

I really wanted to like this little rifle but so far my impression is it is an overpriced toy. Hopefully it shoots well and will redeem itself.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Get out and shoot it. May need a bolt shim. I have 2-4 thousands I could spare if the'd work. My 77/44 needed a 0.001 and that tightened it up. I have the others left from a 'kit' buy.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Good to see this post still going. 357 rifles are fun guns!! I have an 1894Marlin and a NEF SB2 in 357. Both guns shoot well and the Marlin will out shoot the NEF, but only by a little . Both guns seem to shoot max loads of 296/158/mag primer better than anything else. The Marlin is very restrictive in OAL of the rounds but it is a fun gun to shoot and it will shoot 1.5" at 100 with the above loads. Yep I know I am on the Ruger forum and I am interested in a 77/357 so this has been an enjoyable read for me. Jim.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Sportsmansguide has them for sale for $649.99 and 664.99? They have the black syn stock version and the camo stock version. They are having a Ruger sale right now and if you become a member you can get the member pricing and also put it on the 4 pay plan. No taxes and I think it's a $6 handling fee and whatever your FFL will charge you to receive it.
You can find an FFL in your area listed or have your FFL fax in a copy.
PS: My bad, these are the 77/44 rifles in 44 magnum.
I've had a blued and stainless models of these and they shot okay but I just like lever actions more and have a Henry Big Boy Carbine with 16" barrel that shoots great. Henry also has the regular and carbine models in the all steel versions in 357 and they are cheaper than the brass frame models. I have a Henry Steel 44 Magnum rifle.