Bought a New Mini Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Go Navy

Bearcat
I bought a new Mini-14 today from a small local gun shop. He didn't have it in stock but said he can get it from his distributor in two days. It's Model 5817, also known as the KMINI-14/20P. All stainless, 18.5" barrel, black synthetic stock. Comes with one 20 round Ruger mag.

I've owned other Minis before and I can't wait to get this one out on the range. I think, but am not sure, that Ruger ships these with both rings and a short picatinny rail which can be mounted using pre-drilled and tapped holes on the receiver. Obviously you use one or the other, not both!

I'm thinking about trying a holo/red dot on it. Any thoughts about that, anyone?

Passtime

Bearcat
Congratulations, nice score. My Mini came with rings only and the receiver was not predriiled but that was a few years ago. I have heard the new ones come with both rings and rails but that is just what I heard. Enjoy and have fun.

Go Navy

Bearcat
In this Ruger website link, there's an interesting statement which I pasted in below:

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14/index.html

Here's the info:

"Specifically designed for mounting today's scopes or other optical sighting systems, these rifles include a side ejection to clear the top mounted scope, and a patented recoil buffer which protects the scope from damage or shifting the point of impact as the semi-automatic action cycles."

I don't know when Ruger introduced these features but it's nice to know the newer rifles have them, esp. since there is a lot of talk on the internet about aftermarket recoil buffers on Mini-14s. When mine is delivered, which should be in a couple of days, I'll report further, esp. on whether or not the receiver is pre-drilled.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Navy, I have a 5816 Mini, same as a 5817, but blue. Mine did not have a rail, but I bought it in 2008. I read about the rail included in Mini 30's. I think it clamps to the scope ring cut outs on top of the receiver in the same manner as do the rings. My 5816 has been flawless over the years. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
My Mini-14 came with both Ruger rings--pic rail and 2 magazines.

The top of the receiver is drilled and tapped to attach the rail with the supplied screws.

Go Navy

Bearcat
Encouraging reports, Rugerfreak and Rangerbob. Thanks for checking. I called the gun shop today and my new Mini should be in my hands tomorrow (Saturday).

9x19

Hunter
Congrats on the new Mini.

My mini 30 Tactical also has both. The rings worked out best for me (Burris scope).

RugerMini30Tbvlc_zpscf10074a.jpg

Go Navy

Bearcat
9x19 said:
Congrats on the new Mini.

My mini 30 Tactical also has both. The rings worked out best for me (Burris scope).

RugerMini30Tbvlc_zpscf10074a.jpg

Great looking, clean setup, 9x19. Do you think they only ship the rail with the tactical models? If mine doesn't come with a rail, I'll just call the factory and get one.

Which Burris is that?

9x19

Hunter
Not sure if the others come with the rail... it's only recently the Tactical models do. My first was made in 2012 and it came with rings only, this one is a 2014 gun. The scope is the Burris 2x-7x 35mm Fullfield II.

Go Navy

Bearcat
The new Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, stainless and synthetic stock, arrived today. Included with it was two scope rings, the uninstalled receiver rail (with some blue Loctite), two 20 round mags, and the mandatory padlock. The receiver is drilled and tapped. Everything seems tight and nicely assembled.

The trigger feels pretty good to me. The store owner attempted to measure the trigger pull weight for me with his high end digital trigger scale, but in order to get an accurate reading on his digital scale, he said he had to bring the trigger back to the set point manually, and then pull it the rest of the way with only the scale. Otherwise its little brain gets scrambled up. A little tricky. We think its around 6-7 lbs. I'll shoot it for awhile and then decide if I want any trigger work.

I ordered another Ruger 20 round mag from MidwayUSA and it arrived today; price was $29.99. So, I have a total of three for openers.

This rifle has a serial number beginning with 582-xxxxx, indicating that it is current production.

I'll post a couple of pictures as soon as I can get to it.

Thank you to those who have responded to my questions in this and another thread. Very helpful!

DGW1949

Hunter
sliclee said:
with all those minis, not one report how it shoots, someone

It'll depend on the individual gun, the shooter, and what ammo is being used.
As issued, my own 582, 223/556, blued 'n wood Ranch Rifle could be counted on to put 4 out of 5 shots of about any USGI ammo into a 3 to 4" circle @100 yds.
After bedding the action to the stock and switching-out the rear sight, it's average "off the bench" grouping shrank by 1" or better, the "out of the group fliers" have almost stopped, and when not, I can now safely blame them on the ammo, or myself......meaning that when using one particular lot of LC M855, it'll do 2" any day of the week, IF I'm "up to snuff" that day. :lol: .

I've seen others report better, and I've seen others report worse.
No surprize there to me. Like I said to start with....it "depends".
One can't take an out of the box gun, load it with the cheapest ammo they can find, and expect to end up with a lot of bragging rights.. Especialy when we're talking about a gun that may have QC and/or design issues right from the get-go.....which it seems to be the case with a lot of the newer Mini's.

All that said though, there's two things that are for sure 'n certain:
Ruger's Mini was not intended to be, nor will it ever be, a great bench rest gun.
If ya want to get the most out of one, ya gota get off the bench and do some real shootin'.....'cause that's when it realy starts to shine....."shootability", that's what I call it.

DGW

9x19

Hunter
Mine shoots the S&B 123gr soft points into 2" at 100 yards, when I am having a good day.

I have no worries about missing a deer or hog with it... but it would not be my first choice for a turkey shoot.

Go Navy

Bearcat
I took the new Mini out today just for break-in purposes. By the way, I don't have the patience for some of the elaborate break-in methods some recommend, like cleaning the bore after every 10 rounds for the first 100 etc. etc, letting it cool between 10 rounds, and so forth. Maybe if I had a custom bolt action set up for 1,000 yard competition I'd think about that. But I don't have any interest in that extreme, although I admire those who do.

Instead, I just put about 100 rounds through her. It was "vanilla" Remington UMC 115 gr. FMJ. We were shooting at makeshift targets like plastic water bottles, milk jugs, and metal swinging discs at a distance of 75-125 feet (guess) on private land. I shot with the iron sights only, and I'm not good with iron sights and my eyes are not either. Still, I had some of the plastic bottles dancing around and swung the metal discs a few times.

The rifle did not have a single failure to feed, fire, or eject. Zero malfunctions out of the box. The three new Ruger 20 round mags I have functioned flawlessly. However the first time I inserted and removed each of them (they're brand new also), they were just a little stubborn, but that might have been operator error. I adapted to the trigger very quickly, and am used to a two stage trigger. I don't know what the pull weight is on the second stage but it is manageable. A little lighter would be better, but I'll shoot it for awhile before I have a gunsmith mess with that.

As to the irons, I think they are well-registered. And, no, the rear sight did not loosen. I didn't try to figure out how to switch the aperture if that's possible. The rifle seemed to shoot to point of aim; proof will come when I can get on a regular paper target at a known distance. I think the rifle is accurate, but I'll have to see how it groups on paper.

I find the synthetic stock comfortable and the butt pad as well. It was sheer pleasure to shoot this weapon and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I'll definitely be putting some kind of optic on it.

9x19

Hunter
Sounds like a fun day... I'm not the least surprised it proved reliable.

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
sliclee said:
with all those minis, not one report how it shoots, someone

If you look at my previous threads you will see a final range report, with targets, after some minor mods to my 581 Rancher.

New To Me Mini-14 581 Rancher - Final Report

I love the thing and it is a very efficient 'yote getter!

Bob

Chief 101

Hunter
I like the looks and idea of the mini-30 but an expensive rifle just to lean against the wall behind the door. What are you guys using these for other than self defense guns?