RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:21 am 
Hawkeye

I even remembered to leave my pistol in the pickup. Grouch Attack sent a deposit to the bank in a cute little zipper bag which I did not open and had no idea what was inside(checks/cash/Nigerian script). As I approached the counter one of the tellers recognized me and waved me over. I jokingly commented that I was only the messenger and held no responsibility for the contents. The teller at the adjacent window said "Well we're not shooting messengers today". I replied "That's good since I shoot back". Her eyes went wide but the girl in front of me just said "AMEN to that" and continued counting the deposit. I'm sure she'd already noticed the empty holster.
This isn't the 'Wild West' but definitely trending toward an armed society.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:01 am 
Hunter

“I went to the bank yesterday”…it made me wonder when the last time I was in a bank, asked the wife and we’re pretty sure it was 2016.

"I buy guns to shoot and not to fondle and admire" RugerForum Member 5of7

LET’S GO BRANDON!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:03 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm usually in the bank once or twice every month. It's the best way to get the month's accumulated cash into Grouch Attack's business account. Not like being dragged through a cactus patch at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:30 pm 
Hawkeye

I was expecting you to tell us that the teller discovered a small pistol in the zipper bag. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:40 pm 
Hawkeye

THAT would have been 'uncomfortable' to say the least. I'd already groped it to make sure I wasn't being put in such a bad spot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:53 am 
Bearcat

Mobuck wrote:
THAT would have been 'uncomfortable' to say the least. I'd already groped it to make sure I wasn't being put in such a bad spot.

Just as bad a joker at work putting in a note saying fill it up the rest of the way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:26 pm 
Hawkeye

They'd just laugh. I had an account at that bank before most of the current employees were born.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 am 
Hawkeye

I recently went to the bank to get $12,000 in cash. You’d have thought I was trying to rob the place. I finally got $10,000. I had to go to another brach to get the other $2000. And then from a different account.

You’d have thought I was committing a crime. They said I needed to advise them in advance to make large cash withdrawals.

I usually keep a fairly good amount in an account for emergencies. Now it makes very, very little interest. So, I advised the bank I wanted to close the account and was notifying them I would need the cash in two days.

Upon my return to the bank they gave me a run around insisting they only did checks or electronic transfers for that amount. After threats of contacting the feds they relented a told me they took no responsibility after I left the bank.

The cash is now safely stored and immediately accessible.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 pm 
Bearcat

I don't think it's against the law to carry inside a bank.
Now don't try that in the post office.
leadhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:35 pm 
Hawkeye

Jeepnik, I think it's extremely reasonable, and vigilant to have a reasonable amount of cash on hand for emergencies. However, government doesn't seem to agree with us. They want to know what happens to virtually any dollar you spend or have. It's about control. Gives concerns about them taking money at some point out of our accounts.

Big government has proposed rule that would require banks, credit unions and other cash transaction accounts to report any transaction of $600 in a year to the IRS.

https://townsquaredelaware.com/proposed ... stitutions. I have a serious problem with that. We'll see what happens.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:36 am 
Hawkeye

Really, Im sure there is some kind of red flag over that 12 grand. I was watching some cop show a good number of years ago and they pulled over an older middle aged man and asked if they could search his car.... he had something like that in his trunk. He explained he was headed to some city to buy a tow truck... they confiscated the money and I think took him in too. Heck, here in S.C. you can get arrested for carrying copper or stainless steel in your truck.... which I do often with out the government permit.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 am 
Hawkeye

"You’d have thought I was committing a crime. "
If you made transactions exceeding $10K w/o filling out whatever that Federal money laundering form is, you did commit a crime. Especially if you thwarted the requirement by going to a different branch to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 am 
Hunter

Here in anti-gun Illinois it is perfectly legal for me to carry in a bank, unless the bank itself has decided to ban guns. I rarely go to the bank, but likely will be going today to pick up coin rolls. I have a container full to the brim, and have been told that neither of the banks I deal with will take unrolled coins. I refuse to pay 11% at the coin machine in my supermarket. But when I go to the bank I will be armed in case a thief tries to steal the paper rolls before I get home to use them.

-"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will soon be plowing for those that didn't."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:07 am 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
"You’d have thought I was committing a crime. "
If you made transactions exceeding $10K w/o filling out whatever that Federal money laundering form is, you did commit a crime. Especially if you thwarted the requirement by going to a different branch to do so.

Yeah, that $10K number waves all kinds of federal red flags. Couple of years ago I was buying a truck and needed to move some money from one account to another, in excess of the $10K figure. Went into the bank to do this. It was only because I've had accounts there for a zillion years and know all the employees on a first-name basis that the transaction went smoothly . . . and that I wasn't needing the full amount in cash. :roll:

Funniest thing . . . the dealer didn't have the slightest problem accepting my check to close the deal. Yeah, they probably checked with my bank while we were doing paperwork. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am 
Bearcat

vito wrote:
I refuse to pay 11% at the coin machine in my supermarket. But when I go to the bank I will be armed in case a thief tries to steal the paper rolls before I get home to use them.

They used to give you 100% if you chose a certain option, often Amazon gift code but whatever that particular one partnered with.