Mark II Lipseys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chilidog

Single-Sixer
I picked up a MK512GCL model number 00179. It is a blue slab side and is drilled for a base.
Did they also make it in stainless?
How rare are they?

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
All Lipsey's have a gold trigger. The only stainless Mark II KMK512GCs made were the Talo / Lipsey KMK512GCUS and KMK512GC for Big Rock Sports which are fairly scarce.

Big Rock Sports.

Talo / Lipsey's

chet15

Hawkeye
chilidog said:
I picked up a MK512GCL model number 00179. It is a blue slab side and is drilled for a base.
Did they also make it in stainless?
How rare are they?

Lipsey's had these done. Reportedly 500 produced.
Chet15

chilidog

Single-Sixer
Do all mark II's come with s/r on the eagle? I have seen some red background eagles with just the "R" logo and wondered if it was correct. There is a government model on gun broker that has red background eagles and the grips have the "R" but the magazine has the S/R. Did somebody replace the grips or did they drop the S that close to the end of the mark II's?

chet15

Hawkeye
When the new hierarchy came in at Ruger, they decided to get rid of the S in SR in the logo (even though the company is still called Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.).
Somebody at Ruger seemed to think that nobody knew who Sturm was anyway, so they got rid of the S
One of the things a reformed organization does because they can.
Chet15

45flattop

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
When the new hierarchy came in at Ruger, they decided to get rid of the S in SR in the logo (even though the company is still called Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.).
Somebody at Ruger seemed to think that nobody knew who Sturm was anyway, so they got rid of the S
One of the things a reformed organization does because they can.
Chet15

Chet, I firmly believe that if Bill Ruger Sr. were still living or even his son
that they would both be appalled at the presumption of the new company
leadership, Bill Sr. sure knew how important Alex Sturm was to him and
the company. This is why I simply refuse to buy any Ruger products that
have had the S removed and there are plenty of already existing products
that still have the SR on them so I'm not likely to run out of things to buy.

chet15

Hawkeye
I agree... $50K offered to start a business by Sturm (from his family) to a man down on his luck...heck yeah Sturm meant everything to what Ruger is today!
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
I agree... $50K offered to start a business by Sturm (from his family) to a man down on his luck...heck yeah Sturm meant everything to what Ruger is today!
Chet15

Wayyy over half a million dollars today. Some "friend".

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
chet15 said:
Chet15

I also agree with the above statement. Notice how the company was first named: "Sturm,Ruger & Co.". Sturm held enough respect and importance to have his surname listed first. Quite an honor! When they first dropped the "S" from their logo, I thought of that also, as being a very cold gesture.

hittman

Staff member
Even though I agree that removing the "S" was tacky, the fact is unless you're a "Ruger guy" or socialite from the beltway area you have no clue who Mr. Sturm was.

I've had non-gun people ask me before ..... "What's the Sturm thing?"

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
hittman said:
Even though I agree that removing the "S" was tacky, the fact is unless you're a "Ruger guy" or socialite from the beltway area you have no clue who Mr. Sturm was.

I would think it to be extremely STRANGE that a non-gun person would even know anything about there being a Sturm involved with a firearms manufacturer in the first place. Or, why would they even ask or care?

chet15

Hawkeye
SGW Gunsmith said:
hittman said:

I would think it to be extremely STRANGE that a non-gun person would even know anything about there being a Sturm involved with a firearms manufacturer in the first place. Or, why would they even ask or care?

And most people who hear the name Ruger for the first time also think it is a gun made by the Germans.
Chet15