22/45 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman

Buckeye
Over the years I have had a couple of the MK .22 rim-fires. I never really looked into adding anything to these stock pistols so I never did anything to "upgrade" them.
I just found a MKIII 22/45 and am seeking advice on improvements/accessories. :)

Thanks

recumbent

Buckeye
I've used Volquartsen accurizing kits in the past. A pain in the but to install in a 22/45.
Next time I'll try the Apex Tactical trigger. A lot less money.
https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/192936

I agree that the upgrades are a a PITA to install but definitely make a noticeable difference in the shootability of the 22/45. With a good trigger and a good pair of eyes or a proper optic, the 22/45 is simply amazing.

cas6969

Buckeye
I put a Tandem cross trigger and some Volquartsen parts in mine, helps A LOT. I didn't find it difficult at all and it was my first time inside a 22/45.

This young lady helped me a little, she doesn't find it difficult either. ;)

https://youtu.be/Yd2L8_xSOCk

grobin

Blackhawk
Ya a better trigger helps a lot. But so does a decent sight; any red dot or night sight! A suppressor is also nice to have As it makes practice areas more available!

Maybe I should have asked how far you want to shoot this 22/45. Unless the light is right, I top out at about 150 yards with a red dot. Yeah, that's right--150 yards with a 22 pistol on a reasonably sized (8" circle) target. Further and it's going to require a magnified optic for me.

tinman

Buckeye
Looking at all the available "stuff" I have to ask: When buying accessories, what are the differences between the various MK series pistols?

tinman

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
Maybe I should have asked how far you want to shoot this 22/45. Unless the light is right, I top out at about 150 yards with a red dot. Yeah, that's right--150 yards with a 22 pistol on a reasonably sized (8" circle) target. Further and it's going to require a magnified optic for me.

Unless I am doing range work, I usually keep my .22 (pistol) shooting inside the 25-35 yard mark. This gun will most likely be tasked with critter-control duties. Some sort of optic is not out of the question, but I want to smooth out this action first. Like I said, the others I had were used from the tractor seat or carried around the outbuildings for the odd rodent or critter.......both of which usually had the intended target within 10 yards or so.

I've had to concede that my eyes simply aren't up to aiming a pistol at more than 15-20 yards. I have the smaller red dots on my "play & hunting" pistols but I haven't found a really good way to protect those optics on the "chore pistol" (2 series 22/45 SS). It gets banged, bumped, and covered with dust/dirt. The closest I've found is the FastFire 2 with it's little dust cover but even that is subject to being broken or popped off and lost. A custom fitted flap type holster might be an answer.

"When buying accessories, what are the differences between the various MK series pistols?"

I think most of the newer (MK3) pistols are D&T for a one piece base. The base can stay in place w/o obscuring the sights but won't fit in many holsters. I mounted a FastFire2 using a base that fits in the rear sight dovetail but that means no open sight option w/o re-installing the rear sight and re-zeroing.
If I end up going this route on my old MK2 chore pistol(it's not D&T), I'll pull the front sight also and have a slick barrel. Just not ready to do that, yet.

Both my MK IIIs have Volkquartsen adjustable triggers and hammer bushings. Both have been modified enough that they are more MK II the anything. The triggers made a world of difference in the trigger feel. They adjust for pull and over-travel.