MKII Problem - Please Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doc540

Single-Sixer
First match of the year yesterday, and my MKII failed to cycle consistently.

Tried multiple mags and randomly it would fail to load/fee because the bolt creased the center of the top/next round in the mag.

I know this is a simple cause and fix, but what do you suggest?

Thanks!

35d6d093-ffaa-47b7-9267-81363205298f_zpsy6xt6gxl.jpg

Precision32

Blackhawk
Your mags are not feeding properly. The round being loaded (or not) is sticking in the mag and the bolt misses the rim of the cartridge and hitting the cartridge case in the middle, as shown in your pictures.

Try cleaning your mags and see if it corrects the problem.

doc540

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the suggestion.

No doubting you, just thinking it unusual that all became fouled enough at the same time to cause the same problem.

hittman

Staff member
Do you have a different MKII to try those mags in?
Did you try different ammo?
Seems like 99% of rimfire problems are due to magazine or ammo problems, not the gun.

doc540

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Do you have a different MKII to try those mags in?
Did you try different ammo?
Seems like 99% of rimfire problems are due to magazine or ammo problems, not the gun.

I don't have another MKII, but I can borrow one.

And, yes, I ran several different types of ammo through it with the same results.

And to top it off, my local gunsmith is out of town until the end of this week. :(

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Find it kinda hard to believe that you have 8 bad mags. Think I would be would be looking at the gun and not the mags.

Well if you can borrow another Mark II at your range perhaps just try some borrowed magazines in the pistol. That would be a real quick way to rule out either gun or magazine as the problem.

My first guess was a dirty gummed up gun, but you've been around long enough and from your posts I don't think you have dirty guns. My problems on Mark II's seem to stem mostly from just grime and gunk...a good cleaning and voila, problem solved.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
... My problems on Mark II's seem to stem mostly from just grime and gunk...
a good cleaning and voila, problem solved.
Mine have been much the same.

I had one that would do about 350 rounds before it would start to give me
problems. Changed the way I cleaned it and the problem has gone away. :D

cadillo

Blackhawk
You don't mention the application or omission of maintenance, so I would recommend a strip, clean and lube of both the gun and magazines. Some folks, and hopefully you are not one of them, won't venture to strip a Ruger semi auto .22 handgun. They are good, but not good enough to go indefinitely without cleaning and fresh lube.

Good Luck!

I'll admit I'm not a MK??? expert but I did have a similar situation in the past. The bolt was cycling far enough to eject but not quite far enough to catch the rim of the next round causing the bolt to strike the top side of the round in the mag.
IIRC that was found to be the result of shooting some ammo I found while cleaning out an old pickup cab. If that was the case, probably the ammo wasn't up to par and/or the the cases were dirty. Any chance of this being part of your problem(maybe even substandard fresh ammo)?