What Ammo does your MK3 like best?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Halftail

Bearcat
I just bought a new MK 3.Read on another site how they shot well with federal auto match.Right out of the box it didn't work very well.Switched over to some cci stuff and it shot flawless.switched back to the Auto match stuff and it seemed to function better.Possibly a break in period? I've shot it over 800 times the last three evenings...I'm totally new to auto loading rimfire pistols.

wwb

Hunter
Don't have a Mark III.... just a couple Mark IIs and a first generation standard, but they're pretty much the same, except for the "improvements" on the Mark III. Without a Ransom rest, I can't see any difference in anything I've tried at 25 yards. POI may be different, but group size is pretty much the same no matter what I'm shooting.

100 yards with a 10/22 is a different story, though.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As a general rule, it's best to determine what works best by trying different ammo & letting your gun tell you what it likes. And yes, a break in period is often a good idea before working on what's best. I know it's hard to find different 22 ammo to try right now, but careful shopping, & patience, (read; not paying gougers prices,) you can find out what works the best.
Some guns eat anything w/o issues while an exact same model can be finicky as a southern lady. The fun is playing with them,,,,, just like a southern lady!!!!!!! :D

rooger

Single-Sixer
Without a doubt, Federal AutoMatch is the best I've used in my MKIII. Good luck with your pistol!

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Halftail ... Only time and trial will verify which ammo your MKIII prefers. My MKIII512 for what it's worth (at 76,000 rounds) likes CCI mini-mags the best, but frankly does fine with most of the bulk pack ammo as well.

Snake45

Hawkeye
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
As a general rule, it's best to determine what works best by trying different ammo & letting your gun tell you what it likes. And yes, a break in period is often a good idea before working on what's best. I know it's hard to find different 22 ammo to try right now, but careful shopping, & patience, (read; not paying gougers prices,) you can find out what works the best.
Some guns eat anything w/o issues while an exact same model can be finicky as a southern lady. The fun is playing with them,,,,, just like a southern lady!!!!!!! :D
What he said. Saved me a lot of typing.

When it comes to .22s, no one can tell you what ammo is going to work "best" (either functionally or accuracy-wise) in YOUR gun. YOU have to try everything you can find and determine this for yourself. The closest thing I've ever seen to an exception to this is, almost everybody's CZ 452 .22 rifle seems to shoot well with Federal Lighting/Champion ammo, for some reason. :shock:

DUNTOV

Single-Sixer
Halftail said:
I just bought a new MK 3.Read on another site how they shot well with federal auto match.Right out of the box it didn't work very well.Switched over to some cci stuff and it shot flawless.switched back to the Auto match stuff and it seemed to function better.Possibly a break in period? I've shot it over 800 times the last three evenings...I'm totally new to auto loading rimfire pistols.

cci mini mag is the best I have found

In general in all of my rimfire guns, standard velocity seems to be more accurate and cycles just as fine. Same with round nose bullets. They have fewer problems than the hollow point style .22 ammo.

Remember CCI Green Tag? I used to be able to buy that at bass pro shop. Not even sure if it's still made. But that was by far the most accurate ammo I could find.

I need to clarify.... with my MK3 it eats pretty much everything... now as for accuracy, just like with my 10/22 Accuracy is a different world... for the money the most accurate I've found is the Federal Champion in Bulk... but that probably depends on the run #. As mentioned above, CCI Green Tag was really good but a little pricey too... (this was before it all became pricey)

Halftail

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies Guys.I've tried 6 diff kinds of ammo and for whatever reason my MK3 like CCI stuff over Federal.Function and accuracy.I had Fibre Optic sights put on it from the shop but I see where I need to upgrade from that also...any suggestions?