Messed up my 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

skeeter

Single-Sixer
So I watched a couple videos and took my 22/45 apart. i put it back together. The slide release doesn't work. The trigger doesn't work and I can't get the rear canilever thingy out again. What do I do?

Kanook

Buckeye
Keep at it going easy. It will come apart if it went together

skeeter

Single-Sixer
I saw another video about decompreesing the spring. Basically you put in the magazine pull the trigger and give the butt a rap with a rubber mallet. I still can't get it together right. They make it look so easy in the video. I'm not usually a mechanically challenged guy!

9x19

Hunter
Ruger's tool-less take down confounds lots of folks, but once you get it down, you find how simply ingenious it really is.

To me it is so much better than many of its competitors.

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
I just bought a brand new one (4 weeks) and did the same thing. I didn't read paragraph 7 properly. I watched several viedos, talk to a friend I was so frustrated and just took it to a local 'smith. Cost me $47.00. I'll never take it a part again.

Good Luck!

talon1961

Bearcat
The first time I took mine apart I had the same problem at the end. I couldn't get the slide to rack either. I finally made sure the magazine was fully seated, pulled the trigger a couple of times, held it and then the mag release would work. I dropped the mag enough to get the mainspring back under tension and got it into place. Put the mag back in fully seated, and then everything worked perfectly. It took me about 2 hours and a lot of frustration. The next time I did it, It took me about 5 minutes to disassemble and reassemble everything. Now it is easy. I put some dry graphite lube on the front lug of the frame where it engages the barrel and now it is easy to put on and take off without the use of a mallet. I had to watch a few youtube videos before I finally realized the small, but important, step that I was leaving out. I put about 500 rounds through my MIII 22/45 lite this weekend and then disassembled it and gave it a good cleaning and used graphite lock lube sparingly on the inside. It works silky smooth now!

WildWes

Bearcat
skeeter said:
So I watched a couple videos and took my 22/45 apart. i put it back together. The slide release doesn't work. The trigger doesn't work and I can't get the rear canilever thingy out again. What do I do?
I had something similar with my 22/45 a few days ago. Cleaned it, re-assembled and dry fired it
a few times. On the 3rd attempt, nothing. The bolt would function, but the trigger wouldn't
move or the hammer fall. Tried to remove the mainspring housing, but it would only pop out
about 3/8". Reviewed some videos that said to wack the bolt with the muzzle pointed downward
on a hard surface. That released the mainspring, but I couldn't get the pistol to assemble again.
Finally took it in the gunsmith yesterday and was told the hammer wouldn't pivot forward.
Waiting to hear what the damage will cost.

talon1961

Bearcat
After a Magazine disconnect mod, It is a breeze to take apart and put back together. Just remember to make sure the hammer is flat when you put the bolt back in. Put the magazine in, put the mainspring back in and make sure it is fully through the bolt and receiver while holding the gun upside down and barrel upward, sand make sure the hammer lever is out so it will engage into the mainspring correctly and fold the mainspring down until it will almost go into position. Take out the magazine and you should have a little spring tension as you close the mainspring completely.Put the magazine back in and pull the slide back and it should cycle and dry fire perfectly. If the bolt wont come back, take the butt of your hand and rap a few times on the bottom of the grip or on the back of the bolt and that should position the hammer. I did this at the range this past weekend after shooting about 200 rounds and it was a breeze to take apart, clean, and reassemble. Much easier than the first couple of times.

JTGant

Bearcat
skeeter said:

A man has got to know his limitations. ....